Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Design Mobile Responsiveness works! Now how-to for tablets?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    transoptic
    Participant

I have a desktop site and have a ‘mobile’ stylesheet load when the device width is small enough,

however I’m not sure the code I need to add to make it look ‘zoomed in’ (maybe initial-scale=”2.0″) when in between a threshold for most tablets?

Here is what I have so far:

<meta name="viewport" content="width=600, initial-scale=.5, user-scalable=yes">
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="only screen and (max-device-width: 480px)" href="styles/style-mobile.css" />

transoptic
    Participant

Anyone can help on this?

Paulie_D

Why would you want to zoom in?

I’d rarely change the initial scale value from 1. If the user wants to do that then let them.

Have your design styled for a tablet (that’s what media queries are for)…scaling to 5 seems massively excessive.

transoptic
    Participant

Scaling is .5, not 5.

This is what looks good on most mobile devices given the design of the site. It has image galleries which needs a specific sizing to fit and look good. I’ve tested on iPhones and Android-powered handsets.

However, I’m not sure how to set it so that it ALSO looks good on tablets. It’s too small.
    I appreciate a reply but yours did not address this, which was the point of this post.

Thanks

Paulie_D

The point is you shouldn’t need to scale at all.

If something is too small on mobile/tablet, use the media query (or CSS file you are loading) to make it bigger.

Is 10px to small to read on mobile?…make it 20px…that’s the essence of a media query

Change the dimensions, font-size…but just changing the zoom/scale…that’s not even close to being mobile design.

This scaling seems to be the equivalent of bringing the book you are reading closer to your face because the print is too small…when what you should be doing is reading a book with larger print!

transoptic
    Participant

While I can appreciate the book analogy, it still doesn’t answer my question or bring swift resolution to my issue.

I’m sure you can appreciate that different websites serve different needs and things like, say jquery galleries, need to work slightly differently on different devices. Or I’m sure you can appreciate that having to go through my mobile-stylesheet and revamping sizes for everything from images to fonts to divs is a little more tedious than serving up a scale at a minimum tablet screen size.

It already looks good on handsets. I just need help getting things to fit right on a tablet.

If anyone in this forum can approach the problem from that perspective, you’ll be demonstrating that you’re good at PROBLEM-SOLVING rather than telling me what I “should be doing” in the first place.

Thanks in advance!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.