Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Mobile Navigation Dropdown

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy Englert
    Participant

Hi Guys,

Currently, I’m working on a mobile navigation. here is what I have so far:
    http://jsfiddle.net/JeremyEnglert/9cK3X/2/

As you can see, the parent links are highlighted in blue while the child links are highlighted in grey.

I would like to make it so only the parent links show until a parent link is clicked – in which case the child elements will then show. However, I would like the child elements to show without the page having to reload.

I’m assuming I will have to use some jQuery to make this happen – which I have very little experience with.

Anyone want to get me pointed in the right direction?

Senff
    Participant

Here’s a quick setup: http://jsfiddle.net/senff/9cK3X/3/

Senff
    Participant

When I look at the end of your jQuery library, I see this line:

jQuery.noConflict();

That means you should change $ to jQuery everywhere in your code, but you’ve replaced it with $j — so that’s why it won’t work.

Try this code on your site:

jQuery(‘ul.menu > li > a’).click(function(e) {

jQuery(‘ul.sub-menu’).slideUp(‘normal’);

if(jQuery(this).next(‘ul.sub-menu’).is(‘:hidden’) == true) {
    jQuery(this).next(‘ul.sub-menu’).slideDown(‘normal’);
    }

e.preventDefault();

JohnMotylJr
    Participant

@JeremyEnglert, you were simply forgetting to include }); at the end of the .click( ) method. Also, when using jsFiddle or CodePen you really do not need to include script tags. There is a little button at the very top (JSLINT) which will tell you any/all errors. You were able to get away with == rather then using ===. jsFiddle will always catch on that.

Forked Copy: http://jsfiddle.net/john_motyl/LGCXV/

Senff
    Participant

On jsfiddle, there is no noConflict mode so you’ll have to keep using $ there.

JohnMotylJr
    Participant

@JeremyEnglert

Try this, re-wrote in CodePen so we wouldn’t have unknown mysterious characters floating around in your code from jsFiddle

Promise you this works

Senff
    Participant

For some reason, the script is not being executed. Try wrapping it in a document.ready AND move it as low as you can in the markup (try it right before the </body> tag).

jQuery(document).ready(function() {
    jQuery(‘ul.menu > li > a’).click(function(e) {

jQuery(‘ul.sub-menu’).slideUp(‘normal’);

if(jQuery(this).next(‘ul.sub-menu’).is(‘:hidden’) == true) {
    jQuery(this).next(‘ul.sub-menu’).slideDown(‘normal’);
    }

e.preventDefault();
    });

JohnMotylJr
    Participant

@JeremyEnglert,

@Senff
    , is correct. You need to ecapsolate that bit of code in some type of anonymous function.

$(function() {
    //.. Your code goes here...
    })

or

$(document).ready(function() {
    //.. Your code goes here...
    })
    JohnMotylJr
    Participant

@JeremyEnglert : FYI, not sure if this is on purpose, but when hovering over results and contact on your main nav, there is no color but you still have drop downs..

soriamatt

Hey all –

Thanks for posting this I’m using it for my mobile nav and it’s working great – the only thing I need help with is making sub-menus able to function – currently if I create a submenu and give it the same class as the parent list item (.menu) it re-collapses the entire menu when you click on it. I’m not very experienced with jquery, otherwise I would think it’s not that hard to do.

Any help appreciated!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.