Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Mega Menus

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    keyur8
    Participant

Mega Menus always confuse me!

If you’re not using Bootstrap / Foundation, how are people creating their menus?

I could try coding it on my own but worried about browser compatibility. I can’t seem to find a library that it is lightweight and I can add on to my site.

I am happy to pay for a library as well.

Thanks!

Atelierbram
    Participant

Something like https://adobe-accessibility.github.io/Accessible-Mega-Menu/ seems quite good and well maintained but requires jQuery; … too heavy?

keyur8
    Participant

thanks, that looks like it could work.

what do most devs do when creating menus, do they use libraries or code it themselves?

Atelierbram
    Participant

Can only speak for myself, and as always the answer is “it depends”. (Personally nowadays when I client would propose such a mega menu, I would try to steer them towards dedicated landing pages with those links in it, because of mobile-friendliness, but that is besides the point in question). Another concern might be wanting to have a vanilla javaScript solution (without jQuery that is), searching for solid examples of those which are also keyboard accessible will set you on a dedicated quest on the interwebs. Anyway making this all by yourself can be a good exercise or “reinventing the wheel”, depending on time and/or circumstances and/or perspective.

Lately I stumbled upon this “WordPress Component Library” which has a lot of vanilla javaScript Ui components, so for tabs maybe have a look at that one as well to build upon.

Maybe also take a look at the open source projects of Chris Ferdinandi there is usable stuff in there, like “Tabby” for tabs, which may be even more unassuming.

keyur8
    Participant

I like the idea of dedicated landing pages with those links.

That seems great for mobile.

So you would do the same on desktop as well, a top nav link that does not dropdown?

Thanks for the suggestions on the libraries.

Atelierbram
    Participant

Yes dedicated landing pages can work out great on desktop too. The reasoning between favouring one over the other would be more content driven IMO. So when it’s an e-commerce webshop – with clear and well defined categories which would fit in those menu-items – a mega-menu could be the right solution, making it in a sense the first step of a customers filtering process. When the content of the website is more reading-focused, than it would make more sense in my mind to have those dedicated landing pages with the added benefit of summarising content and/or explanation.

There’s also this: for a long time there has been this myth on “one-click” links for the fastest path to a destination. But people don’t really mind clicking away a few times, as long as it’s a “happy click”, meaning taking them there: after arrival not many people will remember the number of clicks it took them getting there I think. But feel free to disagree ;)

keyur8
    Participant

thanks for the detailed explanation!

i am developing for an ecommerce site, so the mega menus are probably still good for my scenario.

i did notice gap doesn’t have a mega menu. seems trends are changing.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.