Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Media Query – min-width or max-width?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    rmatsumoto
    Participant

Hey guys, this is my first post here at css-tricks.com so please spare me if this question is already asked.

When I do responsive site, I generally use start with mobile first, then at certain breakpoint, using min-width, apply different style to utilize the screen estate. Only downside I can think of with this approach is IE<9 require additional CSS or JS to polyfill and even Google recommend using progressive enhancement approach
    https://developers.google.com/web/fundamentals/layouts/rwd-fundamentals/how-to-choose-breakpoints

However When I checked out this site (css-tricks.com, I’m sure 99% of you guys have done it :D ), it uses @media max-width with em’s.

So, my question is, what’s the advantage of using max-width with ems approach over min-width approach? only thing I can think of is to support browser that does not support media query (IE<9).

PS. My wild guess is to add few extra size of css to avoid loading extra polyfill JS? But can’t avoid that with HTML comment or something like yepnope.js?

kwerty
    Participant

this is how i usually do the stuff.
    if writing code for desktop first then i use max-width approach and if the code is written for mobile first i use min-width but i think it depends person to person what they prefer.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.