Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Max-width / HTML 5 + IE7 requirement

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    iknowdavehouse
    Participant

Hi, I’m working on a responsive site with an HTML5 doctype and there is now a requirement for IE7. I’ve done some minor tweaks and it appears to be the max-width property throwing everything out.

As anything running IE7 doesn’t really need to be responsive below my main max width I’m planning so make some IE7 exceptions to set all of these as just “width”.

Is this the best way to do this?

Thanks!

Paulie_D

There is no reason why IE7 should reject a max-width property.

You should be aware that max -width is not the same as width.

iknowdavehouse
    Participant

Ah, I read in another post that it needed a certain HTML 4 doctype to work? I’m not particularly up with that to be honest…

The reason I say I could swap for width in this case is that all the elements that are set to max-width are actually at their max-width at a size which is acceptable for a static version for IE7. For example the main canvas width is 100% with a max-width of 960px. For IE7 i just want to say width: 960px and lose the fluidity…

Anything else it might be? I tried this live through sauce labs and removing the max-width seemed to work. However if there’s something else I can do please let me know!

Thanks again, your last suggestion on the JS fallback fonts solution worked a treat!

Paulie_D

Hey, if it works…it works. :)

I would just question the actual viewer base at IE7. Obviously if the analtyics support it then so be it.

iknowdavehouse
    Participant

Believe me, the IE7 requirement isn’t coming from me. heh

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.