Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Master’s Degree in Web Development in UK. What Do You Think?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    CodeGraphics
    Participant

I will be getting ready to travel to UK soon for a Master’s Degree in Web Technologies. I have this [university](http://www.tees.ac.uk/ “”) in mind. What do you think about the school? Is there a university that handles the course better that you can recommend?

Alen
    Participant

I went to school and ended up with $68,000 in dept. And honestly, I wish I had went for business degree instead. Code, I was learning on my own anyways, so for me college is more about networking and collaborating.

I don’t want to discourage you from attending, for you it might be enlightening experience, for me it was more about networking and just learning how to deal with people.

CodeGraphics
    Participant

So you mean people should not get Master’s or anything at all from university, but to learn how to code on their own and instead study for Business Degree? I don’t think it’s out of place to get a university degree. I am aware that most of these universities teach theoretical stuff and sometimes they don’t follow the latest development in web industry. But i still believe someone can get a degree in this. I want to do their Msc in Computing.

Alen
    Participant

You are misunderstanding me. I’m talking about my personal experience. I never said not to get Masters in anything… I’m just telling you in retrospect, I wish I made a different decision… and this is my personal experience, your mileage may vary.

CodeGraphics
    Participant

So tell me more about your experience. What really happened? What should i expect?

webtmc
    Participant

Personal opinion, degree in web dev makes no difference. I have hired people without a degree over ones with a degree because of their knowledge. The best thing you can possibly do if you want to land a position with a company developing websites is to have a solid portfolio with solid, well commented code inside each. A good design will help too.

Alen
    Participant

> So tell me more about your experience.

I just did.

> What really happened?

I attended classes and participated.

> What should i expect?

Not sure, never attended school in UK.

Alen
    Participant

> degree in web dev makes no difference. I have hired people without a degree over ones with a degree because of their knowledge.

+100%

My first job, I showed them my degree and they literary said they don’t care, and asked me do I know how to solve this problem… and that was pretty much it. My diploma has been sitting collecting dust since 2008.

CodeGraphics
    Participant

Actually, I’m not trying to pursue the Master’s to get a job. I am an entrepreneur not an employee. I have vision of two things:

1. I want to start a competent web application development company that will be developing robust and creative web and mobile applications for corporate businesses, individuals and government agencies in Africa. Currently, such company is lacking.

2. I want start a professional web development training institute that will rewrite the rules of web development training in Africa. Currently, such institute is lacking.

Presently, am finishing a Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology at Mahatma Gandhi University and a Diploma in web development (html, css, js, php/mysql) from a private institute here. I want to go do this Msc in Computing at Teesside University, Middlesbrough, UK and then head back home to start my things.

CodeGraphics
    Participant

Currently, only this [company](http://www.futuresoft-ng.com/ “”) is really doing some great stuff in Nigeria.

Alen
    Participant

It’s cool you wanna do all these things.

Are you intending to be one of the teachers/developers? If not, consider assembling a team and start now, instead of waiting 3/4 years for Masters.

Look at some case studies of other people that did similar things, ask them questions, and start figuring out what really takes to accomplish this undertaking.

CodeGraphics
    Participant

I will be one of the developers and a senior tutor at the beginning. I will hire some persons also. When the works becomes so big, i will focus solely on management. My fiancee is doing an MBA, so she will be part of the management team.

I just need more suggestions about studying in UK. Are there other universities that are good and better in training delivery?

chrisburton
    Participant

When I first started, I got into web development. I had a love/hate relationship with it (mostly CSS). I dabbled with it since 2008, only becoming serious since 2010. After a few contracts, I hated it. I hated doing client work but I loved doing my own projects. This is when I knew it wasn’t for me. So I’m glad I never went to college in this particular area and wasted my parents money to later decide I didn’t want to do it. Since then I’ve specialized in Typography and I’m pursuing a Law degree. Big adjustment.

By the way, majority of developers don’t have a degree in this field, if at all. I’m actually surprised there is a Masters program for web development. Have you thought about Computer Science?

CodeGraphics
    Participant

No. I dont want to do Computer Science. It will start talking about all kinds of stuff like java, fortlan and stuff like that. I want to do an Msc in Computing which basically focuses on deepening one’s skill in web development and security. I just want a good school in UK that does that. Someone recommended Teesside to me.

chrisburton
    Participant

If that’s the case then I would recommend against it. Personal opinion, though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.