Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Marquee Crawl

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    tommer
    Participant

Hi, I’m new here, great site and thanks to all for such great contributions. I can see I’ll be doing a lot of reading here.

Anyway, – – I finally started putting some work into my (small) business website, – – and I seem to be stuck on getting my marquee(s) to work right when trying to get my page to center on a larger screen. It slows down to a jumpy crawl.

I’m (obviously) very inexperienced at this, but stumbled onto some of Chris’s stuff and got ‘inspired’. Thanks Chris.

Anyway, here’s the (far from done) site, – – feel free to criticize about anything or everything.

http://www.tr-built.com

And here’s what I guess would be the pertinent associated parts of my external style sheet (the marqueeX is on the subpages and works fine because I didn’t yet try to center them).

#pagewrap { position: relative; width: 1100px; margin: 0 auto }

.marquee {position:relative;
    overflow:hidden;
    width:360px;
    height:23px;
    font-size:12pt;
    border:solid maroon 3px;
    }

.marquee span {white-space:nowrap;}
    #m2 {position:relative;
    width:308px;
    height:23px;
    font-size: 12pt;
    }
    #m2 span {white-space:nowrap;}

.marqueeX {position:relative;
    width:230px;
    height:22px;
    font-size: 12pt;
    }
    .marqueeX span {white-space:nowrap;}

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide . . .

tommer
    Participant

Oh, and I forgot to mention the left-side of the main page seems to have gotten squeezed to the right a little (about 15 or 20 pixels, maybe??) Some symmetry has been lost, – – might have to do with absolute vs. relative positioning, I guess??

Rob MacKay
    Participant

Marquee’s are working fine in Chrome – but the first thing that hit me that I really need to tell you about is your images. You need to make them thumbnails that link to a bigger image, rather than having the full size image scaled down. The loading time on that page is HUUUUGEEE lol :)

Well done on getting your web project on the go :D

tommer
    Participant

Thanks, Rob, – – I’m brand new at this and that’s very useful information. I will say, though, the few (friends) computers I checked my site on the loading time was next to nil. (they both have windows 7).

Either way though, – – better to shorten the time frame, – – thanks.

I’ll put that on my (long) list of things to figure out how to do . . .

Maybe the marquee crawl is just an internet explorer bug??

Rob MacKay
    Participant
    "tommer" wrote:
    Thanks, Rob, – – I’m brand new at this and that’s very useful information. I will say, though, the few (friends) computers I checked my site on the loading time was next to nil. (they both have windows 7).

The loading time will be next to nill the second time you load the site – as the images will be cached and you don’t have to download them again :)

tommer
    Participant

That makes sense, Rob, – – I’ll have to get right on that (which means gimme about 2 months at the rate I’m goin’, LOL).

Anyway, any help with the marquee slowing down to a crawl (apparently on Internet explorer only) would be appreciated, – – and does anyone know why once I program in the (pagewrap) centering it seems to shift my left half to the right some??

tommer
    Participant
    "TT_Mark" wrote:
    Could just be an IE bug like you suggested as it works fine in Safari. I’d test in Firefox as well but the load time is huge as Rob said.

Thanks for the info and for verifying that, Mark, – – I’ll take care of the pics next and also get rid of a no-longer desired hover effect on some of the sub-pages, maybe that’ll help a little, too.

tommer
    Participant

OK, I’m having a hard time garnering up any information on this anywhere, – – but it appears from what little I’ve learned so far, it does seem to be an IE (margin) bug.

I’ve been able to solve all the problems (alignment, marquee crawl, and site jumpiness) with this one (cross-browser reset??) command in my stylesheet . . .

* { margin: 0; padding: 0 }

Now, though, – – although solving all that, – – I’ve created a new problem, – – I can’t get the website to center by pagewrapping and auto-zeroing (which I am able to do without the margin reset command, but then I’m back to misalignment, crawling, and jumpiness).

Anyone know how I would over-ride to center my page?? I can get my center container box to center by using ‘text-align: center’, – – but everything else stays at it’s original left base (pics, borders, nav-bars, etc).

Thanks in advance if anyone can help . . .

P.S Also, does anyone know how many pixels over the ‘relative’ position is from the left of the screen in IE, – – if I knew that, I might be able to tackle the problem by locating my ‘left-most’ element at that exact point, – – and then maybe I wouldn’t even have to use the browser reset command.

tommer
    Participant

Thanks for the quick reply, Mark, – – I’ll add in that !important, see what happens, and then play around with my positioning if necessary . . .

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.