Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript Marking fallback characters

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    inktrap
    Participant

Would it be possible to highlight characters that are missing in the current font and automatically get substituted by the browser?

Paulie_D

Interesting..not sure how but it sounds useful.

inktrap
    Participant

Well, is it possible to detect what font is actually used in rendering?

Paulie_D

Well, is it possible to detect what font is actually used in rendering?

You set the fonts…shouldn’t you know?

inktrap
    Participant

I do know; I was talking about detecting fallback fonts. Would finding out what font the browser uses even be possible with Javascript?

Paulie_D

I don’t understand…why would you need to detect fallback fonts?

If the current font doesn’t have a character it doesn’t fallback on the next one to try and find it.

Fallback fonts are only there in case your primary font fails completely at least AFAIK.

inktrap
    Participant

No, actually if there are any missing exotic characters in the current font the browser will replace them with the same characters from another font that has them. You can even see which font is used in the browser’s Inspector. Those are the instances that I’d like to be able to highlight.

duncan.mckenna
    Participant

Don’t suppose there’s been any update on this? In the same boat.

The only close solution I can find is detecting if a font is installed, not detecting if a glyph is missing.
    E.g. http://www.lalit.org/lab/javascript-css-font-detect/

If you want a good indication if a special character is missing visually, you can set the next fallback to serif if you’re using a fancy sans-serif font. E.g:

font-family: "totally-fancy-sans-font", serif;

The missing characters will stick out like a sore thumb.

jpeg729
    Participant

Many Google Fonts do not have glyphs for accented characters. They fall back to some standard font and you often have to look really closely to see whether “é” with an accent looks out of place compared to the “e” without an accent.

jpeg729
    Participant

Worse, I actually typed an e-acute in that comment. Chrome DevTools shows the e with the accent, but the font just shows an “e”.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.