Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other MAMP on LAN

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    rlitts
    Participant

After watching Chris’ video cast on 86 and 87… I started using MAMP pro for development. On my local computer I can see the sites as sitename.local:8888. This works great for me, however moving forward I want to be able to access these types of sites on my local network. I have dug around for a couple of hours now and still can find a real explanation on how to do this. If anyone has some experience around this, I would be truly grateful.

Senff
    Participant

What you’ll probably need to do (or start with), is check the (internal) IP address of the computer that’s running MAMP. Let’s say it’s 192.168.0.3. Then on another computer on the same LAN (let’s say, 192.168.0.5), you should be able to access the site if you go to http://192.168.0.3:8888 in your browser.

If not, you’ll have to look into the sharing settings (making sure that MAMP allows other computers on the network, etc.) but that could be a little more tricky.

If you want to use a “sitename” instead of the IP address, then you could do that with having your own internal DNS server (pretty complex) or you put this line in the HOSTS file of your client computer:

sitename.local    192.168.0.3

So this is not a full explanation but perhaps it’ll get you going.

iandbanks

Any idea how to do this with multiple sites using MAMP Pro? I’m having a similar issue as above except I need to find a way to view all of my sites on the LAN not just the default one.

Andy Howells
    Participant

@iandbanks – I’ve got your back jack – [Accessing MAMP sites from local devices](http://codeboxers.com/accessing-mamp-sites-from-local-devices-phones-tablets/)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.