Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Making Family Tree for Website, Any Ideas?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    cnwtx

I’m trying to make a family tree-style list in HTML. It needs to start at the top of the page, then spread out as it goes down the page. It needs to be a flexible layout, i.e it’s not always going to get wider on the next level down. I’ve tried using tables, then setting properties for one border to make the lines in between names, but that just turned into a big mess. Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Cliff

mcguiver178

use divs within divs man, you have to give your body a min width, then center it in the page with margin:0 auto;
    , and go from there, once you have the beginning centered, you can just start adding the divs and floating them against eachother. just dont forget to clear after each row (if you’re gonna go by rows).

TheDoc

Yikes – sounds like a whole lot of trouble.

I would look at other sites and see how they are doing it. If they aren’t using Flash, they’ll definitely be using some JS to make the HTML part work a little better.

Mottie

Maybe look into one of these:

Google visualization
    Yahoo Pipes
    jsPlumb
    Processing JS (see Ask Ken for an example)

mcguiver178

it would deffinately make it look better, but if he wants to keep it simple, he could go for the HTML divs… altho the connecting thingy is the part I ommited… that would be bad….

Dreamdealer

You could generate a familty tree using a library like Raphael.js.

Brightonmike

You could surely do this with lists? Child elements etc?

jamygolden

I’ve done this before. However the depth of the list must have a limit. @cnwtx is there a depth limit to the family tree?

Dlad24

This is what i used,
    http://www.thecodeplayer.com/walkthrough/css3-family-tree
    It just uses a crapload of nested lists,
    The only problem is married people have to be in the same boxand it gets quite big towards the bottom

gingell
    Participant

I have a solution similar to the one on thecodeplayer.com. It works a treat and supports multiple marriages. You can view it here –

http://www.gingell.com/familytree/?tree=00001

JasonLabs
    Participant

Gingell, that looks amazing! Do you release the source on how you built it?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.