Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Mac Classic Help

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    MikeC

I know that a lot of you probably use Macs, I don’t and am stupmed on this problem.

I have a customer who has an iMac using OSX 10.4.
    She has Classic to use Claris Organizer.

Everything used to work fine, but now when starting Claris Organizer, she gets an error stating that Classic requires at least 128M of RAM to start(she has 1Gb) and that it suggests more is used.
    But it then says "Do you want to start using lower than recommended RAM" if you click ‘Continue’ it just exits.

Somebody told me that there are probably some preferences that need clearing somewhere, in the only preferences pane there is no option to change anything to do with the memory or to reset any settings to default.

I have spent a good hour searching for the error on google only to find that the best answer is to reinstall OSX.

Has anyone encountered this?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

An acceptable work around would be a more up to date free alternative to Claris Organizer(preferably that could use the same file but not imperitive).

Matt

Have you tried reinstalling the Classic environment?

Rob MacKay
    Participant

<smug XP user>

Hold on – I thought people never had problems with macs?

</smug XP user>

MikeC

<smug vista user>
    I was led to believe the same Rob :p
    </smug vista user>

Matt: I couldn’t see how to, where do I get the classic environment from? The lady doesn’t have any disks and I couldn’t find it on the internet.
    How do you unistall things on a Mac, am I correct in thinking that you just remove the folder for the application?

Matt

Back-up all the files on the Classic mode. Then go into the System Preferences and disable the active classic mode. If the client runs a G3 or G4, use a Mac OS 9 9.2.1 or later disc to install the required OS 9 files needed to activate classic mode.

Though,

If the client runs a G5, there will be a disc that came with the Mac called "Additional Software & Apple Hardware Test". Run the "Install additional software" .mpkg and classic will be one of the installed applications.

EDIT
    And, yes, most applications can be removed by just deleting the application from the /Applications folder. Other programs like many Adobe programs also install additional support files that may require additional programs to remove.

Yes, I do think the installing/uninstalling methods are flawed.

Matt
    "apostrophe" wrote:
    <smug Leopard user>
    Haven’t had a problem in the four years since I switched from the daily headaches of XP
    </smug Leopard user>

If your client is running Tiger then it is obviously an older machine. Has she checked how much memory she is using? When were the maintenance scripts last run? Has she run the disc utility?

The key to troubleshooting anything is to start with the simplest possible causes and work your way up, not visa versa.

Many applications, and I mean many applications, only looked at total RAM installed on the machine and not how much was available to use. Noteworthy exceptions were Photoshop which used a dirty hack to find how much RAM was being used in the background.

Of course, just rebooting could clear the emulated MMU.

MikeC

Thanks again for your replies!

My problem is that I’m not a Mac user, so I don’t know the basics.

She is using an iMac, looks pretty old… She has 1Gb of memory, Classic says there is not enough and it needs more than 128Mb, so there is obviously some thing screwed up.

Quote:
    If the client runs a G5, there will be a disc that came with the Mac called "Additional Software & Apple Hardware Test". Run the "Install additional software" .mpkg and classic will be one of the installed applications.

Will this disc repair things that are wrong at the moment? Is there something similar to the System File Checker in Windows?

Matt
    "MikeC" wrote:
    Thanks again for your replies!

My problem is that I’m not a Mac user, so I don’t know the basics.

She is using an iMac, looks pretty old… She has 1Gb of memory, Classic says there is not enough and it needs more than 128Mb, so there is obviously some thing screwed up.

Quote:

Will this disc repair things that are wrong at the moment? Is there something similar to the System File Checker in Windows?

You could try going to /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app and running "Repair Disk Permissions" or just running this in the Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app)

Code:
    sudo diskutil repairPermissions /

I don’t know if that would help any, but hey, I’ve seen non-functioning keys on a keyboard being caused by a bad stick of RAM.

@apostrophe

Reinstalling Classic isn’t drastic; reinstalling OS X is.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.