Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Lynda.com course – Create and Edit Custom Theme

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    margaux
    Participant

This is a really good course from Chris Coyier which I highly recommend. It covers creating the psd mockup of the site and converting the psd to HTML and CSS as well as then converting it to a custom wp theme. Along the way Chris points out some really useful photoshop tips and wordpress resources. I learned a ton.

One embarrassing question – I can’t get the index.php or the home.php page to display by clicking on the menu item ‘home’. Everything else is working nicely – the header, sidebar, footer, comments, single page, blog page, products and category pages all do what they’re supposed to. From the dashboard, clicking on ‘visit site’ works, displaying the home page properly but why wont it show up when clicking on the menu item from within the site itself?

I’ve used wp version 3.5.1 which is the latest version – is there some setting I need to alter?

notfilc

Could you post up a link?

margaux
    Participant

I developed it locally as a learning project.

Just to clarify, when I click on the nav link to home or click on a nav item which doesn’t have a specific page template set up the sidebar, header and footer display but nothing else and the layout is incorrect.

If I key in the full url e.g. localhost/widgetCorp/index.php or localhost/widgetCorp/home.php or localhost/widgetCorp/

Within the dashboard, from the pages menu if I click on view page, then I just get the header, sidebar and footer templates with the layout awry. Is this something to do with how the pages are set up? currently they are set to default template.

Alen
    Participant

It’s really difficult to answer this question. Can you post the code you have in your index.php? This might help us better understand what is going on.

You might want to check out [WordPress Template Hierarchy](http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_Hierarchy). To better understand how WordPress template files work.

margaux
    Participant

Yea, I appreciate that its difficult without being able to access the site and the code. I’ll try and put it up tomorrow. In the meantime, here’s the code for index.php

id=”post-“>

“>

Not Found

and this is home.php

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit.
    Donec non elementum nunc. Vestibulum orci nisl, vulputate nec elementum nec,
    aliquet at est. Cras porta leo nec leo porttitor pharetra. In id eros nibh,
    eu tincidunt libero. Duis a metus nibh. Quisque sit amet ipsum sit amet
    lorem luctus elementum.

We are able to do the quote we do because of the quality of these widgets.
    – Frank James, Tick Tock Corp.

Featured Widgets

Web Special of the Week

Buy two sprockets get the third free!

Alen
    Participant

I’m not sure if the comment box on this site is breaking your code. But the line after this:

says:

id=”post-“>”>

Which is invalid syntax.

Check out [index.php](https://github.com/murtaugh/HTML5-Reset-Wordpress-Theme/blob/master/index.php) of HTML5 Reset WordPress theme.

margaux
    Participant

The problem was down to a page.php script in the theme which I didn’t realise was there, so I just needed to update that script. Always a good call to revisit the template hierarchy, thanks.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.