Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Lovin’ some LESS but..

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    sliver37

I’ve been playing with LESS recently and have pretty much been blown away by how much better it is compared to standard CSS…

Thing is, I’m starting to wonder how many libraries = too many, should we stop learning/writing pure code?

Obviously I’m not giving up jQuery anytime soon, but I have actually been trying to learn raw JavaScript lately just to get a better understanding of the language as a whole. (And finding out why libraries are such a godsend)

The grid systems and frameworks are seemingly gaining popularity, at first I just saw them as the ‘easy way out’. I know that’s a stupid mindset to be in, when they are basically just trying to make us more efficient.

What’s your guys view on all the libraries/frameworks, do you have more hair on your chest writing raw code?

furrball1383

Although libraries and frameworks and grid systems are an amazing thing, it is still very important to be able to code in the language as well. Nowadays there seem to be a lot of people that can put websites together and that may have an eye for good web design but they often run into problems in their understanding of how to use said libraries or frameworks simply because they do not understand the coding behind it. This ends up with a lot of tech support from forums and such. Also, if one doesn’t know how to create your own code, you are them limited by the libraries you use and thinking outside of the box is out of the question.

mtedwards

There was actually a podcast on thinkvitamin about this a few days ago: http://thinkvitamin.com/podcast/ They bring up some very similar points. If you are using a grid system or such and something goes wrong, unless you understand the underlying code then you are stuffed.

If I want to use a grid system I would create it myself. That way I understand how it works and won’t have any of the issues mentioned by @furrball1383 and @mtedwards.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.