Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Looking into form data security for a client.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Zonglars

I’ve got a client job building a sort of online shop. The order process I’m not concerned about, as the payment takes place off site (pay-by-phone, it’s what they want to do). However, they want one thing on the site that concerns me; a distributor application form. This form asks for a lot of private information, enough to lead to identity theft if it’s intercepted (these guys are legitimate, just low budget). The setup I had in mind is that an email of the receipt will be sent to the applicant and the client for review/processing once it’s filled out.

I could really use some help finding out what’s needed to make this whole process secure. I think an SSL certificate would help with the input part, but it’s the email part I’m worried about in regards to interception; the applicant’s copy I can always show only the last 3-4 digits of all the codes, but what about the client’s?.

Worst case scenario, I can just build an interactive PDF for the applicant to fill, save/print and email/fax to the client. The only reason they want a digital version is to avoid really bad handwriting. I was just hoping that an entirely online version might be better.

PeretzM

What I’ve had success with for low budget projects is a form that posts to a secure database, with an email notification to the website owner.

Zonglars

Actually, that’s perfect, since it would allow them to manage the entries and make corrections more easily. They’d still need an SSL certificate right? Any companies you recommend (assuming brands matter with these)? I think they’ll be with bluehost which offers Positive SSL, but I’m not sure how good that is.

Thanks

PeretzM

I’m not sure about which company is best for SSL, I’m not that much of a technical guy. I do know that you can get ’em for pretty cheap at godaddy.com, just make sure to do a search for promo codes first, try something like retailmenot.com…

Good luck.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.