Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Looking for Open Source Alternative to Dreamweaver Templates

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    vongoh
    Participant

Back in the day I used Dreamweaver – which allowed us to set up Master Templates so that repeating sections, such as headers and footers etc, could be repeated on all the pages on the site that used that template.

Now I’m using Sublime Text, Sass, and other open source methods to create sites. I would like to be able to pull a header section, or a footer section in as a partial into every page on my site – thereby allowing me to centrally manage those repeating sections and have them update on every page in the site where they are used.

Simple issue. However I’m having trouble knowing where to search to find a solution. I thought it might be Javascript Templating (Mustache, Handlebars etc) but so far that doesn’t seem like what I’m looking for.

Suggestions anyone? Thanks

Tom
    Participant

Yes what you’re looking for are templating engines like the ones you mentioned, also if you’re working with PHP there are others like Twig and Blade.

Maybe this will help explain it a bit better: http://www.zell-weekeat.com/nunjucks-with-gulp/

vongoh
    Participant

Ah ok thanks – I started running through an entire JS templating tutorial on Lynda, until I realized nowhere in the entire series did he cover how you can use these engines to simply pull in HTML partials. I thought I was mistaken and running into a dead end without getting the solution I’m looking for.

Yes I should have mentioned this solution needs to be for static HTML sites – not PHP includes. I need this for a front end build process only. It doesn’t look like Twig or Blade can be configured to create sites that don’t need a PHP server, unless I’m mistaken on that.

Zell has helped me out a ton in the past with Susy. I see he is all excited about switching over to Gulp — however – ironically, I have my entire framework built with Grunt so I’m not about to switch over my entire setup to another taskrunner – no time for that.

Of everything I’m weakest in JavaScript. So getting this kind of thing ends up being a larger time / effort investment for me if it involves more complex code in that area. Nunjucks looks good but I’m not finding a lot of quality tutorials other than his or community for it so far in case I run into trouble ..

I want this to be as simple and easy to get up and running as possible. I just want to keep working with a minimum hassle configuring whole new setups and languages. But it looks like that might be a futile expectation lol .. thanks again for the pointers, I’m still deciding here …

Tom
    Participant

I sadly can’t be of much more help either since I’m not much of a frontend guy. However the Gulp/Grunt thing shouldn’t be a huge problem most of the time the documentation gives you good info on how to get going quickly. Also consider this maybe you have to invest a bit more time at the moment but it can save you a lot of time in the long run if you don’t have to do repetitive tasks like copy pasting etc.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.