Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript Looking for a simple pure js (no jquery) parallax plugin/script

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mark L.
    Participant

There are many parallax scripts but most use jquery. The ones that don’t are older scripts that don’t use nice features like requestAnimationFrame and debouncing. I’ve googled for a more modern script but I only found one and that one is weird — you can’t add multiple parallax containers/images on the same page in a simple way.

Surely there must be a modern pure js parallax script somewhere?

I only want a background image that scrolls at a different speed than the rest of the page (like what this does). Unfortunately I’m not that great at javascript to write it myself.

amanda_
    Participant

skrollr doesn’t use jQuery. It’s easy to use, too.

Mark L.
    Participant

skrollr seems too complex (has too many features) for what I’m trying to do.

After more digging I found this one (<1kb minified & gzipped): Parallaxify. It doesn’t need jquery and uses requestAnimationFrame. No debouncing, but it doesn’t use the “on scroll” event listener, so probably not needed?

Shikkediel
    Participant

Looks quite horrible to me. Even if one’s not scrolling, it checks 60 times a second if something has happened anyway.

Mark L.
    Participant

I guess I’ll keep looking then.

amanda_
    Participant

I wouldn’t discount skrollr. It’s incredibly easy to use. You just write a few extra lines into your HTML. The actual .js file is 47kb.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.