Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Looking for a new Monitor Recommendation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    rockitdev
    Participant

Looking to upgrade my monitor. I recently purchased a MBP with retina and now the monitor i was using previously looks like trash :) (asus vh242h).

I’m open to most options, just would like to see if I could purchase a good quality monitor that would upgrade my existing display for under $600.

__
    Participant

What is your planned usage? desired size?

Samsung and LG are good brands, IME. I would definitely recommend an IPS panel. I, personally, would stay away from 4K monitors unless you’re sure your graphics processor can drive it at a decent speed.

You could get something of pretty good quality for your budget. Maybe even two.

rockitdev
    Participant

first and foremost i’m a web guy so some graphics/front end work. i’m new to mac so retina etc has me possibly over analyzing things.

i would love to have 2 solid 24″ monitors or maybe a single larger one. have any recommendations?

shaneisme
    Participant

We make some good professional grade monitors as well:

http://www.asus.com/us/Monitors_Projectors/Professional_Monitors_Products/

Alen
    Participant

Get two Dell UltraSharp u2410, you’ll end up spending about $400-$500 for both. I’ve used u2410 for many years now, Adobe RGB colorspace, plus any more features. Look for it on eBay. It’s been discontinued. But still great monitor.

rockitdev
    Participant

thanks everyone. this is all very helpful.

what video connection from the mbp should i be using. essentially, what’s the difference advantages to dvi/displayport/hdmi?

shaneisme
    Participant

The image quality between all three will be exactly the same.

They just allow more bandwidth (or sound sometimes) for other toys.

rockitdev
    Participant

ok. so, if 2 monitors both output the same resolution, what else would you look at to determine which is the better display? for example, my existing asus outputs a resolution up to1920 x 1080 and then i see newer monitors with the same resolution, with additional features as IPS, LED over LCD, etc.

nixnerd
    Participant

I have 2 of these monitors:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009483&cm_re=acer_monitor_23--24-009-483--Product

They are the Acer H6 Series H236HLbid. Newegg has them for $179. They are 23″ and their resolution is 1920 x 1080. They are LED and IPS.

IPS is REALLY important for graphics. The main reason? The colors look exactly the same from any angle. If you do not have an IPS monitor, even a solid color over the whole screen will do this weird gradient thing because you’re viewing every pixel from a different angle. Definitely NOT ideal for graphics work.

LED in general has a wider color range. You get blacker blacks and more vibrant and correctly represented colors vs LCD. I have a third LCD monitor and the difference is pretty stark. Not really a fan of my LCD monitor.

***When choosing a monitor, be aware that MANY 27″ inch monitors are actually just 1920 x 1080 that have been enlarged, i.e. stretched out. If you want to jump to the next resolution tier, expect to potentially blow your whole budget on one monitor. Also, you may need an upgraded graphics card to drive that many pixels… ESPECIALLY if you plan on adding a second monitor when you can afford it.

The things I love about my monitors:

1. Great resolution/wide color range
    2. Nice size. Not too big, not too small. I don’t need to tilt my head vertically at any time.
    3. REALLY thin bezel. Putting them side by side is no problem.
    4. Really thin panel. They look uber sleek and modern.
    5. Great price

When I finish my PC, I’ll be buying a third monitor. It will be the same as the other two.

shaneisme
    Participant

Found this Googling: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/15389-whats-the-difference-in-color-between-an-ips-and-a-tn/?p=173219

Really if image quality and color correctness is important for your job, get the best monitor your budget can afford – the extra money does make a difference.

__
    Participant

IPS is REALLY important for graphics

This. Trust me. Once you use an IPS monitor, you will never consider buying anything else again.

We make some good professional grade monitors as well

That PA246Q looks awesome.

I have 2 of these monitors: Acer H6 Series H236HLbid

I found those exact monitors messing around with specs for a build. They certainly look like a great deal, and they get good reviews as well. Good to hear it firsthand! The only drawback is they don’t have a vesa mount (I’d like to use a dual stand).

nixnerd
    Participant

The only drawback is they don’t have a vesa mount (I’d like to use a dual stand).

There’s actually one other drawback. You cannot raise/lower them. They do tilt… but I’d love it if they went up and down.

I have heard of one person modding this exact monitor to mount it… you will void your warranty though… which is NOT desirable.

However… I’ve been examining mine and with some real creativity, I think you could mod them without damage. HOWEVER… the money spent doing so would not be worth it.

I plan to solve my problem of monitor height with a custom IKEA hacked desk.

__
    Participant

you will void your warranty though

pffft. what have warranties ever done for me?

I plan to solve my problem of monitor height with a custom IKEA hacked desk.

Will you be using the classic Yellow Pages Hack?

nixnerd
    Participant

Ha ha no. IKEA has a modular line. I wanna say Vuka.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.