Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Look in My New Desing Work :)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    o-d

http://www.sp-host.net/

This is one of my latest designs. im still working on it. In Firefox everything goes well about, but in ie7 or downward could be hell :cry: i couldnt do that ie transparent png sh.its. so the top menu su.cks on ie6 etc.

Could you do me a favour and tell me something about it ?

i would be appreciated. thanks folks!

(and i wanna add im a foreign to English, so sometimes what i write is not what i think, sorry…)

Erika

It’s very neat, that’s for sure. I’m not a fan of the large color blocking at the top, but that’s just my personal opinion.

You should try to use a little more stock photography in the site. Just more elements to help keep the interest of the visitor. I’m willing to admit that the language barrier might play a part in that for me, but you can never have enough content, anyway. :D

o-d

thanks for comment. i wannt to ask something else, i designed that for about 800×600 screen size. should i prefer bigger sccreen sizes? like 1024×768.

Hawke

I’m going with Erika on this one. I’m not a big fan of the header, but overall it’s all good.
    I’m not really sure why, but the server pictures don’t really blend in… I don’t really have any suggestions tough !

Good work :)

dustinbrewer

I think the navigation gets a little lost because of how big the header and the cat5 cord is on it. You might try just toning down the colors being used in the header and adding more contrast in the navigation to separate it out from the rest of the design. This should help it to have a better flow and make the header less distracting.

As far as 800×600 vs 1024×768 the norm with most people right now is to design at 960px wide and not worry about the fold. Using 960px width will also help you move into grid-based design, this article http://www.cameronmoll.com/archives/2006/12/gridding_the_960/ can help you with that.

I hope this helps.

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

I am in agreement with several others that the colors are just a little too "intense", perhaps for a simple change you could darken up the background and the feel of those colors might settle down.

I am also in agreement with Dustin that 960px is a good target to shoot for these days. The real key is to analyze your analytics after you get the site launched and if you are seeing a large percentage of people with 1280px or larger monitors, you might be able to bump that up. If you see any significant percentage of people with 800px monitors, you should consider dropping it back down (to maybe 760px, gotta watch those vertical scrollbars taking up space!).

Jermayn Parker
    Participant

In regards to images for server (or other technical sites like hosting) websites, I have found that a lot of designers use general head shots of girls with head phones on. This kinder gives a human side to the website apart from the somewhat ugly machine look…

o-d

thanks to all especially to toby ;)

ahhhhhhhhh! A broken link!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.