Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Logo critique

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    uneart

@chrisburton I don’t really get what you mean with tail. I’m not a native speaker so it might just be me interpreting the wrong thing. Sorry for beeing stupid about that ;)

chrisburton
    Participant
    uneart

@chrisburton Thanks clearing that up. But wouldn’t that be a bit like adding serifs? I really want to keep the style as simple as possible. Sorry I’m not a typo guy at all.

chrisburton
    Participant

No. Tails are not the same as serifs.

uneart

@chrisburton
    Just read some stuff about all those typography terms and realised how stupid my last sentence was, it’s already late in Europe ;) I’m still strugling with the tail idea, sketched a bit but got nothing good going so far.

I did try that stroke idea though and I like the look of it. Not sure it that really solves the readability problem, maybe a bit. Played around with the color a bit as well. [Here it is.](http://db.tt/sWgYhGfC “”)

By the way: Thank you for taking your time to help me out here I apreciate it a lot. I hope there will a point in the future when I can return the favor.

chrisburton
    Participant

@uneart Hey, it’s my pleasure. I don’t know. I think the ‘a’ still needs improvement for legibility purposes.

The logo I’m thinking of starts with a ‘c’ and it’s somewhat similar to yours but in script form. Hopefully someone sees this and posts a link. It’s bugging me.

uneart

I wonder if I should maybe just go with a “normal” semibold script font to assure readability?!

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

One of the first things I saw that would be possible point of improvement is the gaps in the e and the a are so different. Maybe if they were the same distance apart it would lend consistency. I’m not much of a typographer though.

Love the critique discussion! And I love seeing hand crafted logos with hand crafted type.

chrisburton
    Participant

@uneart What do you think about turning that ‘a’ into a double-story?

Note: If you go this route, you will most likely have to give all the characters some weight variations.

uneart

@chriscoyier Thanks for the additional input, I’ll give that a shot. I’m not at all a typo guy as well but I at least want to try to solve this with something selfmade. Having watched countless screencasts and talks by you and now getting comments from you about my own little project here… love it ;)

@chrisburton
    I guess that would change the style of the typeface fundamentally but I kinda like the idea of it beeing a bit more “fluid”.

Oh, that logo project will cost me some freetime :D Sometimes I find myself wondering if I should work on the name itself again (I have it since about 1,5 yrs) because it sure causes some legibility problems by beeing a non-word.

chrisburton
    Participant

If your logo is drawn in Illustrator or by hand, it’s not a typeface. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Well you’re only giving the letters a negative line space so you’re not really joining the strokes. There are a number of ways to tweak this for better legibility but you should be consistent in the process.

uneart

@chrisburton Sorry for beeing stupid again, it is not a typeface but I think you still understood it.

I’ll see if my (still very limited) skillset can produce something better.

ChadL

sometime simplifying the shapes down can help. And then finding their small distinctions.

hope this helps

http://db.tt/W1bu8dLJ

rctonnie

I would say it looks great… very savvy design, but actually practically difficult to read what that word is.

marshallford

Just one point to make: If your brand or company name isn’t a common noun like dog, clock, or design make sure the text is readable and very clear.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.