Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Logo Centered in Nav

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Miela84
    Participant

Hi,
    I’m trying to do an assignment for my class and I’m stuck on this logo being centered within navigation. I’ve been working on getting this right for hours and it’s driving me crazy.
    I searched the forums and found this:
    https://css-tricks.com/forums/discussion/18095/how-to-make-header-nav-divided-by-logo/p1

The two examples aren’t actually centered when I try it though. The right side is kind of stuck to the logo and it moves when I resize the window.

Does anyone know how to center a logo in the middle of a nav bar? I’d like the nav bar to fill the page like in the picture.
    Thank you in advance for your help.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

TheDoc

You know what, Andy, I don’t think I’ve ever thought to do that before – pretty smart!

Miela84
    Participant

Thanks. That’s what I’m doing, sort of. I applied the class as a logo and then had the logo as a background image. All the nav is spaced out well and the logo is centered within it, but what I keep running into is the whole nav itself not being perfectly centered. I’d show you my code but I’m not sure how to put that in here. If I paste in my code (if you could tell me how) will it help you to help me? I want to learn from whatever mistake I’m making so I know how to do this in the future.

Thanks!

Paulie_D

You can put your HMTL & CSS in Codepen.io and let us have a look.

SgtLegend

From an SEO standpoint there is nothing wrong with putting the logo in a list item as its still readable by Google and other search engines, however a screen reader would have a field trip with it since they read the source from top to bottom, left to right.

Since the logo would be in a list item a screen reader would go

– Home
    – Stats
    – Schedule
    – Michigan

etc…

Miela84
    Participant

Thanks for all your comments. I wasn’t thinking about SEO…and probabyl should. Some students in my class are trying to figure this centered logo situation out and haven’t gotten it yet. This is the closest I came and it’s a pretty pathetic attempt. Any ideas?

http://codepen.io/anon/full/mrDed

Miela84
    Participant

probably*

Kitty Giraudel
    Participant
    Miela84
    Participant

Thanks HugoGiraudel, but I’m wondering, when I re-size the window the whole nav area isn’t centered. That’s the problem I’ve been having. It’s shifted more to the left. Am I missing something?
    Thanks for that Andy, I’ll make sure I’ll add it next time.

Kitty Giraudel
    Participant
    chrisburton
    Participant

Having the same header layout, that is pretty smart. Although I dislike not having it inside an h1.

SgtLegend

@andy_unleash as long as the logo comes before the navigation elements itself it would make more sense to the user using the screen reader, take the following for example:

For users using a screen read this makes sense as a site logo should always come before the main navigation to introduction the users position on the screen more formally, however something like the below would confuse the user.

The reason why is that screen readers look at the markup in the page not the layout itself as its impossible for a screen reader to understand what goes where and how a user interacts with it where are the DOM tree is a more solid structure for it to work with when presenting the content to the user.

Hope I didn’t misunderstand your reply.

Miela84
    Participant

Thanks! I think I got it!! http://jsfiddle.net/P7PNj/6/

Miela84
    Participant

oops sorry this was before I refreshed to see other comments

wolfcry911
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.