Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS [SOLVED] list-style-image problems

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    towen
    Participant

I feel really dumb. I would really like to use the list-style-image to upload a personal drawing I made on the drawing app called Mischief. I’ve been trying to make this work but I feel I keep bumping my head against a cement wall. My drawing does not have a URL. As far as I know, it is just a drawing I have saved on my computer desktop. What am I doing wrong? I have looked at the W3C website and consulted three different books. In addition, I have looked throughly in my course materials I took at a computer school and still cannot find a single thing that allows me to load a personal pic. as a bullet style image. Thank you and have a nice day!
    from someone who is pulling their hair out on this…

Shikkediel
    Participant

Quite vague I must say. Maybe you could show the code and image.

towen
    Participant

Sorry for the vagueness. I will try to be more specific…:)

This is some of the code I have tried…

ul { list-style-image: url(/Users/tracyowen/Desktop/graphicdesign/fish1.jpeg);
    height= 60px; width=60px;}

or

<ul style = "list-style-image: url(/Users/tracyowen/Desktop/graphicdesign/fish1.jpeg);
    height= "60px;" width="60px;">
    <li> example</li>
    </ul>

or

<ul style = "list-style-image: circle inside URL(/Users/tracyowen/Desktop/graphicdesign/fish1.jpeg);
    height= "60px;" width="60px;">

I have tried each of these without the URL as well. I have even tried it using <span>but cannot remember what code I exactly used for it since I erased it after it did not work. :(

I’m new to this and to this website, so if cannot help me its ok. I just thought I might give it a try… Thank you for replying and have a great day!!! :)
    Tracy

bearhead
    Participant

The syntax should look like this:

ul { 
    list-style-image: url(/Users/tracyowen/Desktop/graphicdesign/fish1.jpeg);
    }

So you basically had the syntax right except for the px declarations, which don’t belong here.

Of course there is the problem that you’re trying to link an image from your local machine – you can’t do it that way. You’ll need to upload the image to your server.

So, if you’re website domain was: http://www.mysite.com, and you had an “images” folder where you stored all your images, the url for your fish1 image could look like: http://www.mysite.com/images/fish1.jpeg

also, make sure that the file extension in your url and file match… I noticed you’re file is a .jpeg, so just be careful not to mix that up with .jpg

towen
    Participant

Thank you so much!!!:). I know what happened now. My picture is not on a server because I have yet to put my web page on a server. Thus, from what you said I think that is the issue. You also helped me identify once I get everything onto the server what was wrong with the height and width. Thanks again!! Have a great day!!!
    Tracy

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.