Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Linux Transition

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Erik
    Participant

OK, So I tried Linux once before with Windows 7 also on the computer and the results were not good caused some issues.

I want to just take the leap and completely remove Windows 7 and just run Linux.

So.. A few questions,

1. I tried Ubuntu and didn’t really like it so what do others use, or is Ubuntu the best for newbies?

2. The main reason I want to use Linux is for more privacy from ‘Big Brother’.. is Linux really any more private then Windows?

Alen
    Participant

I use Linux Mint Cinnamon.

Tag me in the discussion if you need help setting it up.

@alenabdula

is Linux really any more private then Windows?

Define “private”. I’ve been using Windows without Anti-Virus Software for years, ever since Norton would eat up resources like crazy… Really depends what we’re talking about regarding security/privacy.

shaneisme
    Participant

I like Mint myself… but I actually only use it as a seedbox/HTPC… I wouldn’t have any problems running it as my primary computer (except for gaming), but I’ve been on a Mac for a couple years now and I’m used to its insanity… and at work I’m on Windows… sigh… I just realized I didn’t really bring anything to this conversation so I’ll leave you with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pOxlazS3zs

(watch the whole thing before you start hating)

Alen
    Participant

@kk4oxj oh man… English is my second language. I barely passed college, I can’t write, @shaneisme can vouch for me.

Erik
    Participant

I’m not looking to ‘hide’ for evil reasons, just see how they NSA etc continues to violate our privacy more and more and just think it’ll be a good thing to learn how to keep what little privacy we have left would be a good thing moving forward to the future.

I know this subject is a talking point all on its own, just wondered if Linux would give me more privacy… by the sounds of it I’d be a bigger target.

Alen
    Participant

What is the motivation for you to be a “target”? If you’re not doing anything illegal why such concern. I could care less what they can and can’t see about me.

Erik
    Participant

@AlenAbdula I have no ‘motive’ of anything, just believe we should have privacy.

I hear the “I have nothing to hide” argument all the time and my response is.. Do you live in a house without curtains? Because if you do there’s no reason to have them because you have “Nothing to hide”

The point is I don’t have to have a motive just think with systems like ThinTread I wanted to find ways to keep as much privacy as possible.

Was thinking Linux might be a better option for that then Windows.

Alen
    Participant

But what is the motive for someone else to look trough my windows, whether I have curtains or not doesn’t matter when my windows are made out of glass.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Was thinking Linux might be a better option for [privacy] then Windows.

Privacy depends on you, not your operating system. Privacy is about what you send through the wires and how it is sent. The browser, websites you visit, and type of connection you use can all affect privacy – linux vs windows doesn’t really change much here.

@kk4oxj

almost all Linux is open source and free, not run by a company that has to pay all of it’s employees, so there’s no incentive to gather data and sell it to ad companies.

Huh? That argument just doesn’t carry much logic. If you give away something for free, but have to support development time, server space, etc there is more incentive to get money through other means. Most linux systems don’t gather and sell your data, but it has nothing to do with financial incentives and everything to do with the communities they are shipping to.

nixnerd
    Participant

I run Linux. I MIGHT (big maybe) be more of a target for it. Do I care? No. It’s my right to run whatever OS I want and to control my own data in whatever way I see fit.

I’ll say it like this: Linux gives you more OPPORTUNITIES for privacy and security. Ubuntu right out of the box really isn’t going to do much for you in terms of privacy and security. But… can Linux be hardened WAY beyond what Windows and Mac are capable of? Yep. I don’t think there’s any debating that at all. That said, BSD is probably your best bet if you can live without certain conveniences.

The big draw to open source (other than philosophical reasons) is the fact that you have hundreds of thousands of people looking at code and finding/patching holes. You will never get that with any proprietary software.

Bottom line: Yes, I think it would be in your best interest to dive into Linux. However, that’s coming from someone who is a huge fanboy.

nixnerd
    Participant

So, how’s it going @Erik? You have this to look forward to:

nixnerd
    Participant

Not my setup. But… I’m going to assume it’s Arch. The DE is obviously Cinnamon with Docky and Conky added on.

Robby
    Participant

What’s up Erik? Ubuntu is apparently the most beginner friendly, I wouldn’t no first hand though because that’s all I tried.

I used Ubuntu for a good year, and even wrote a long post on the migration. You could check it out here: http://sitechop.com/ubuntu/migrating-ubuntu-designer-developer it will get you started with all the softwares and stuff.

I switched back to Windows a few months ago. To me Ubuntu Linux had awesome development benefits but lot’s of downsides when it comes to other stuff. I got sick of running Photoshop though an XP VM, and the entire time I couldn’t get my laptop speakers working properly, I searched far and wide for solutions.

What do you want Linux for? If it’s for web development I’d recommend Vagrant. My new thing is running windows 8 natively and an Ubuntu server box through vagrant for development. Best of both worlds.

nixnerd
    Participant

My new thing is running windows 8 natively and an Ubuntu server box through vagrant for development.

You’ve got it all backwards @Robby :p

I would just like to say that after a year of using Arch (Ubuntu and Fedora before)… I think it’s as user-friendly as anything. In fact, I wish I would have started with it. A huge benefit is that you learn how Linux actually works from the beginning. I have never had a major problem with Arch. Ever. Then again, I don’t use Photoshop.

Robby
    Participant

You’ve never experienced any audio/video problems or disabilities on linux?

I like linux but its not right for everyone. It has its pros and cons. Really only things tying me to a specific os are software. If adobe offered linux support i’d switch back in a second.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.