Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Linux for Web Developers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    mdgrech

I created a Linux for Web Developers Distro, what do you guys think of the site so far?

http://mijio.com

ikthius

a full operating system?

so you can add anything you like to it, program wise, that runs on linux?
    will all of my hardware run on it?

I think the site is very plain and straightforward, perhaps a bit too plain but that’s up to you at the end of the day.

Personally I’m not sure what to make of these niche Linux distributions. The site doesn’t actually say, but I assume you are basing it on Debian, Fedora, or some other mainstream distro. My experience with GNU/Linux goes back to playing with MCC and I’ve seen hundreds of distros come and go. My favourite at the moment is Ubuntu and it would take an awful lot to persuade me to drop it and use something else (I also use CentOS occasionally).

I assume you must have some unique ‘value add’ which isn’t yet on the website to attract developers to your distro (since most modern distro’s include Apache, MySql, Postrgres, Gimp, and all the other software you refer to on the website). Therefore wouldn’t you be better off contributing your unique additions to one of the existing distributions so that the GNU/Linux community at large can benefit rather than just the few using your distro?

Just a thought.

mdgrech

At its heart its a Ubuntu distro, it uses gnome, and the apt-get package manager. You could of course install deb package or yum as well. Also as far as I’m aware Ubuntu does not come pre-installed with Apache or MySQL. To an experienced Linux user installing these programs is a snap but for many newbies it can a troublesome task.

I ultimately would like to bridge the gap between the web and your desktop, possibly adding something like remote backup as a premium service.

Matt

You might want to add some bash scripts for installing common developer tools under Wine such as Adobe CS2 (which runs fine under Wine now thanks to Google).

As an idea, you may want to make an application (possibly with Python and PyGTK) für easier local testing of websites and Django/RoR applications. That’d definitely earn you a name amongst the "Install and run for less" crowd.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.