Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS line height issue

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    handcycle
    Participant

I’ve got an inline style that controls several attributes, but for some reason the “line-height” doesn’t work. Inspected with Firebug…everything else seems to work, can’t figure out why line-height doesn’t respond.

Any ideas?

http://frontrangefreedomtour.org/front-range-freedom-tour/

<div style="font-size: 20px;padding: 20px;line-height: 32px;color: #fff">

Paulie_D

In what way “doesn’t it work”?

Plus a link isn’t very useful without specifics of which element is affected, how it looks now and what it’s supposed to look like.

jurotek
    Participant

Your inline style line-height in span12 is overwritten by line height of 20px on p tag in .entry-content p, .entry-summary p class selectors where you can change it from 20px to unit-less value of 1.6 or more if desired.

handcycle
    Participant

Hey jurotek

Thanks for the response. I’m a css rookie. I understand the gist of your comment but can’t locate the specific selector you reference. Also, if I change it, won’t that change the entire site?

I wish to control the line height within that specific div, (the white text over the picture) which is why I tried to do it inline.

Help?

handcycle
    Participant

Hey jurotek

Thanks for the response. I’m a css rookie. I understand the gist of your comment but can’t locate the specific selector you reference. Also, if I change it, won’t that change the entire site?

I wish to control the line height within that specific div, (the white text over the picture) which is why I tried to do it inline.

Help?

handcycle
    Participant

Hey Paulie

Sorry, I’m a newbie. I’m trying to control the line height of the white text. The line height doesn’t change when I change values of me inline css.

Hope that helps.

Alex Zaworski
    Participant

Hey there,

The issue you’re having is that line-height is also set on the &lt;p&gt; tags inside of the &lt;div&gt;.

You’ve been trying to fight a specificity problem, when in reality you have an inheritance problem.

I don’t know of a way to get the effect you’re after purely through inline styles on the &lt;div&gt;. The preferred method would be to target things with classes, if possible.

If you definitely can’t go that route you’ll have to add inline styles to all of the &lt;p&gt; tags.

handcycle
    Participant

Hi Alex

Okay, I created a style in my stylesheet:

.white-text {
    display: inline-block;
    text-shadow: 1px 1px 1px #666;
    line-height: 150% !important;
    font-size: 20px;
    padding: 20px;
    color: #fff;
    }

Then in the first line I have:

<

div>

but the line-height selector still doesn’t change anything.

http://frontrangefreedomtour.org/front-range-freedom-tour/

handcycle
    Participant

I gave up…just used

tags and solved the problem.

Thanks, everyone.

Alex Zaworski
    Participant
    .white-text {
      display: inline-block;
      text-shadow: 1px 1px 1px #666;
      line-height: 150% !important;
      font-size: 20px;
      padding: 20px;
      color: #fff;
    }

When I pull it up that selector appears to be correctly adjusting the line-height, is there something I missed?

handcycle
    Participant

Sorry, Alex,

I re-wrote it and used p tags inside the div to make it work.

Thanks for the help.

Alex Zaworski
    Participant

No worries, glad you got everything working :)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.