Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript Limits of CSS/Java

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    youknowben

Hi,

I’m a relative newbie but have been incredibly encouraged by your site and some of the walk-throughs!

I’m looking down the road at some projects I want to tackle and just trying to get a lay of the land.

This is a site which I never cease to be amazed by. I know it was built in flash, but given what I saw you do with the mcgarry site, I just wonder whether it’s possible to approach something like this with more standard approaches.

http://sputnikobservatory.com/

Could you comment?

Thanks so much and Godspeed on your further work!

Ben

Sirlon

So at first, it’s Javascript not Java except you realy mean java but i don’t think so ;)

And yes most of that what you see on the flash site is also possible with JS and CSS.

A lot of can be done without even js using CSS3 transforms, transitions and animations.

TheDoc

Slick site! There is certainly still a market for Flash, but you’ll find that it is based in applications and not websites themselves.

As Sirlon pointed out, there is a very big difference between ‘Java’ and ‘Javascript’. jQuery is based on Javascript and is behind the majority of “cool” things you see on the web today.

soap
    Participant

Technically you’d be able to build that site with JS and CSS. Just a lot easier to do some of those things in flash, namely the letters going insane. Flash is just not ideal for a website.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.