Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End Limit WordPress URL length

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Johnnyb

Hey all,

I’m working on a rebuild of a site and trying to keep the new URL’s the same as the old ones. The old ones just use the post name but they appear to be limited to a certain number of characters, for example:
    www.example.com/news/boston-meets-with-life-sciences-economic-development-organization-from-

The new URL generated by WordPress looks like this:
    www.example.com/news/boston-meets-with-life-sciences-economic-development-organization-from-europe/

I know I can edit the permalink manually via the post editor, but as there are a lot of posts involved then I’m wondering if there’s a way to limit the URL (to 100 characters for example) automatically?

Any nudge in the right direction would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Johnnyb

Anyone have any ideas?

TheDoc

I did a quick search for you the other day but didn’t find anything so I didn’t bother replying. I’m sure it can be done, but I think it might involve so rather tricky coding.

Johnnyb

Thanks Doc, appreciate it. I’m assuming it will have to be done with the .htaccess file, I’ll keep on Googling and let you know if I find a solution. Thanks again!

Simon

Did you ever find a way of doing this? I’ve just run into the same problem. Cheers!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.