Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Learning to create websites

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

At the moment I am 16 and wanting to learn how to become a web developer as its something i’d love to do as a career.

At the moment I know HTML and basic CSS, which other coding languages / mark up should i learn and how?

Also, I struggle for ideas about what to create, are there any other pages apart from the obligitary ‘hello world’ page that i can make?

Thanks guys!

Nosenation

In that order:
    1) HTML 5 / CSS 3
    2) JavaScript with jQuery library
    3) Basic Photoshop usage (cutting layouts etc.)
    4) PHP with Database (MySQL)
    5) Some CMS – WordPress / Joomla / Drupal

How:
    1) Internet courses (Tuts+ for example)
    2) Read books (A book Apart, O’Reilly etc.)
    3) Documentation (W3C etc.)

Cheers :)

JohnMotylJr
    Participant

You wanna get really hooked?

Start programming in some JAVA! Let’s start knocking out some Android Apps! I always tend to resort back to Java whenever i am having a design block or i’m just tired of html/css/js. It’s so simple because its just pure logic.

But yeah, @Nosenation got it pretty much direct.

lhoezee

@Nosenation is correct, that’s exactly what I would have said.

When you get the #4, you’ll have to decide if you want to run and test your PHP locally with MySQL or if you already have a hosting company with PHP & MySQL. I would suggest going the route of your hosting company to start out with. However, unless you want to get experience with installing and configuring them :)

If you are a Mac user, PHP already comes built in. If you are on a PC, a few friends of mine have installed: XAMPP (http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html)

Thanks fella’s great comments,

Already found some books comtaining all of the topics mentioned above, Should get these for christmas. Looked at both of the online courses too, Any oppinions as to which is best, Tuts+ or Team Treehouse?

Also, What should I try to make for my first website? Something that can show me the ropes of web design but what?..

Thanks again, Look forward to hearing your comments again! :)

Paulie_D

Rather than design something yourself the best way to learn code is to buy a cheap template from somewhere like Themeforest for a few dollars and try hand coding it.

See something like this: http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/site-builds/convert-a-warm-cheerful-web-design-to-html-and-css/

That looks great @Paulie_D Thanks, I have the latest version of Quick time Installed but its still saying I need a plugin, Any idea which one it is I’ll need?

Paulie_D

It depends on which browser you are using. I hope it’s not IE?

Works fine in Chrome.

QT just had a update today IIRC…but I think blip.tv might be down. :)

Thanks @Paulie_D
    My night’s Sorted now! :)

I think it would also depend in which areas do you want to work more into.

If you want to be more on the front-end development then HTML/CSS, javascript, jquery & Ajax would be a great deal. Yet, for back-end programming there is always PHP, .Net, JAVA etc.

chrisburton
    Participant

I don’t think Treehouse is worth it, in my opinion. Unless you’re the type of person who progresses very slowly when learning new things. I’m sure you could learn much faster with other resources.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.