Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End Learning PHP

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    matt25
    Participant

Is there a good book to learn PHP? I am working through the Diving into PHP tutorial series but I would like a book to learn more advanced things and also as a reference.

Any suggestions of books or other resources?
    Matt

Matt

I myself learned the basics with Lynda. They just recently launched their more advanced series on PHP as of last month.

I’m a visual learner, though. I understand concepts much better when I can see somebody putting them to use.

apostrophe
    Participant

I found David Powers book http://www.amazon.co.uk/PHP-Solutions-Dynamic-Design-Made/dp/1590597311/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238919740&sr=8-7 an excellent starting point.

You might also want to check out http://www.phpvideotutorials.com/free. I recommend the "old" videos, as I found the "new" ones a bit too idiosyncratic for my tastes.

matt25
    Participant

Thanks, I’m looking into those.

Books to avoid:

Learning PHP 5 & PHP Cookbook 2nd edition. Both O’Reilly books :o

Learning PHP 5 was actually a really enjoyable read until I got into the meat of the book where the code examples just didn’t work. I did fix quite a few errors with the help of the online errata. Initially most were undefined variable errors then it got a little to complex and I gave up reading at that point.

PHP Cookbook is excellent for snippets of code but be aware, I had the same problem with Learning PHP 5. Code examples not working properly. I dove straight into the form section as I have an assignment that involves form validation and the section on ‘Redisplaying Forms with Inline Error Messages’ was abysmal.

GreyFox135
    Participant

I can vouch for the Lynda.com PHP lessons. I’m about halfway done with it and it’s EPIC.

I pay for the premium subscription, but you can get away paying $25 for a month’s worth of service. Cram it in dude!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.