Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript Learning JS — Can someone explain this function?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Rugg
    Participant

Hi there,

I’m in the process of learning javascript and discovered an issue with a function I’m trying to call. The problem seems to be related to the object scope (I think) , but perhaps I’m missing something else. Below is a basic code sample for reference.

Note: I’ve noticed the function executes if the variables are defined within it, but there should still be a way to get this working using the provided sample.

I would appreciate any help/info on the subject. Thank You.

Sample: http://jsfiddle.net/5qsbM/

__
    Participant

You’re assigning your function to $.fn.myFunction, but calling it like $.myFunction.

If your function does not operate on the dom, I would suggest assigning it to $ directly (or not using jQuery at all).

If you are interested in writing a jQuery plugin, remember that you’ll need to call your method on a jQuery object (i.e., something returned by $, not $ itself):

$().myFunction();

. . .

Also, inside your function, use this instead of $ to reference your variables: updated fiddle

. . . OR, make myGlobals a property of myFunction (unless there’s a really good reason not to – it’s best to use as few names as possible in $.fn): updated fiddle #2

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.