Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Learning code: remembering and applying

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    tobeeornot

Hope this doesn’t sound too pathetic but I’ve just been doing a 30 day Jquery course and although I’m doing well enough on the quizzes, and are reasonably comfortable recognizing what finished code means from the provided examples, I feel that I would have real difficulty writing code myself without assistance. Do people think that is a normal part of the learning curve? If so, does anyone have suggestions what is the best way to move forward, bearing in mind I don’t want to spend all my time repeating exercises. Or is that the best way?

Senff
    Participant

It’s normal. Or, well, I have the same.

I think it’s like driving a car. You can learn the theory, you can take driving lessons, but you really start getting the hang of it once you drive by yourself in the real world.

And I don’t even have a license! ;)

I do write down a lot though. If I figure out a piece of code of which I think I might need it again later, I just save it in a central place so I can look back whenever I need to. That beats the “oooohhh, I used that kind of thing in an earlier project, but I can’t remember anymore which one it was….!!!??

Johnnyb

Yeah I’m the same. I think it’s the same for any language though, the more you use it the more it sticks. I’d been learning jQuery from books for a while and then I started a very jQuery-intensive project at work and through doing that I became a lot more comfortable writing from scratch. I still have to refer to the jQuery API docs frequently though, but by putting it into practice in real situations it really helps to make the information stick.

dfogge
    Participant

from my experience you have to work on real projects in order to memorize anything.

tobeeornot

Thanks for the reassurance guys. Making something stick with new stuff is always my issue. I guess it would be best if I gave myself useful project that applies the theories and just go for it and press on.

TheDoc

Totally normal. It’ll take some time before you’re writing things from scratch.

I would recommend trying to write it from scratch as much as you can. Then check resources to find out where you went wrong (if you did).

tobeeornot

Thanks Doc – I think writing from scratch frequently is the way to go too, even if it can be frustrating!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.