Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Layout Elasticity/Screen Resolution

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    edonian
    Participant

This post is related to my last one, only I’ve decided to follow Jon’s Em and Elastic Layouts with CSS article. Everything appears to be going along a bit smoothly, especially the “content” aka “div id: wrap“, it’s showing up perfectly on both of my computers/devices. But I’ve encountered another problem.

I have screen caps this time:

My layout on the laptop.
    My layout on the desktop. See how the Nav table is not meeting the other end?

Everything is showing perfectly except for the Navigation table. So.. yeah, I really don’t understand how the content is staying where it is. Can someone explain to me how everything seems to work except for the Navigation? This resolution stuff is bumming me out and seems to be my biggest problem. Or I’m just not understanding how it works. D:

Here is the website link.

And the code:

My Testing Page

Layout Testing— Layout Elasticity

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod
    tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim
    veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea
    commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate
    velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint
    occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt
    mollit anim id est laborum. Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem
    accusantium doloremque laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab
    illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt
    explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut
    odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione
    voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum
    quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam
    eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat
    voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam
    corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur?
    Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse
    quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo
    voluptas nulla pariatur?

Mikefmi

Its because your nav is not with in the wrap, and the margin left is pushing it from the left of the browser window, not the left of the wrap div. So when you view this on a larger resolution screen, you will get the overlapping effect because the wrap is horizontally aligned to the center of the browser window, and the nav is not within it. The margin left keeps the nav in its current position.

If you put the nav inside the wrap float the content to the left, and the nav to the right, it should start to work. Some more fiddling around may be required. I recommend reviewing Chris’s video tutorials on floats.

I hope I helped you!

edonian
    Participant

Thanks for commenting! :)

I tried just as you suggested and it didn’t seem to work. I even tried what Chris had shown in his tutorial and it does move the navigation on the right, using this following code inside the “wrap”:

I added a blue colour just to see how far it moved and it’s too far in the corner of the content, leaving no space and no gray border . But I didn’t edited the actual CSS… The float didn’t work for the CSS.

Mikefmi

Remove the position: absolute, and the large margin from the nav, and add float: right. Now, this will stop the overlapping, but sizing and margins will have to be fixed to make sure everything fits the way you want it.

Mikefmi

Oh yeah, put the nav inside the wrap

edonian
    Participant

Oh yay, it worked!

Thank you so much! :D

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.