Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Latest website

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Comrad3

Hello everyone!

I just finished designing a website for a client. This is my first paid gig as a freelance coder and both the client and I feel satisfied with the outcome. What could I do better next time?

http://www.proofwriting-incorporated.com

noahgelman
    Participant

Logo is a tad too close to the top.

The copyright area is an ugly gray. Maybe a bit lighter to match “writing” from the logo.

A bit too much of a gap between the copyright and content.

You need an icon for next to the url

The Form elements on the Hire page could be styled to look nice.

The default paypal stuff looks a bit ugly, it could use some css to match your site

The navigation should match the url. Ex. the About link goes to aboutus.htm . The Hire link goes to store.htm

The Choosing between native and non-native english speaking on the Hire page should be changed somehow. You can select options from both at the same time, but the price only reflects whichever one was last selected. It can be a bit confusing (especially for non-native english speakers ;) )

Some of your classes aren’t needed, you can just target those elements normally with CSS. For exampleL .text1 could be .nav p. It’s more semantic this way.

Things like “.container”, “.nav”, “.content” those kinds of things should be ID’s since they’re only on the page once

And the class names like text1, text2, text3- those are a bit ambiguous. You should stay away from those kinds of things.

Those are just my opinion, otherwise I think it looks really good. Very nice and simple. I really like the logo.

drake

Congrats on your first paid site! I’m just a beginner too but this is what I would change:

– use a sticky footer and extend the page to the bottom.
    – try to separate the header and the content somehow. They seem to be ‘merging’.
    – experiment with the typography a bit

noahgelman
    Participant

@drake

Yeah, content and logo way too close.
    Sticky footer sounds good too.

Comrad3

@noahgelman

Thanks a ton for the pointers! Most of the design was out of my hands (except the copyright… I’ll go with something else next time. ^^) but I’ll totally keep the coding advice in mind.

@drake

Like I said, most of the design elements were out of my hands; but I’ll take that into consideration on my next project.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.