Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End Large website – Should I use Expression Engine or WordPress?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Luminated

Hey all,

I’m going to be developing a website for a cosmetology institute that will be quite expansive. One essential feature will be for students to be able to sign up on the website (so each user will have their own username/pass), get access to protected content and also upload their own pictures/profiles. While I’d love to use WordPress, I don’t know if WordPress can do multiple user accounts or user submitted content.

Does anybody know if WP could do this? Or is that stretching WP’s capabilities too far, and might be best to use EE instead?

Luminated

You were right on Josh….WordpressMU along with BuddyPress is actually the way I am going to go. This way, each ‘student’ will get their own ‘profile’ (which will really just be a blog). This way they can catalogue their work as they go along or make an image gallery, whatever works.

I found out that EE doesn’t handle this type of application for their CMS….a bit surprising and dissapointing, but serves me right for doubting the power of WP! :mrgreen:

nutt318

This may be a stupid questions but, what is WordPresMU? I checked out their website but didn’t see whats different between it and normal WordPress.

Luminated

WPMU is a multi user version of WordPress….you could effectively run your own blogging website that allows people to sign up through YOUR site to get a blog (rather than WordPress or BlogSpot). Coupled with the new release of BuddyPress, this is huge. It effectively transforms WordPress from a Blogging platform to a Social Networking CMS. Intense stuff!

nutt318

Sweet, Thanks for the explanation! I will have to try it out.

kloy

This is an interesting topic. I’m about to venture into something like this too.
    Are there any live wordpress sites with this in place?

Thanks

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.