Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Large text files

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Bern494
    Participant

Hi Guys
    Not up to speed with most of you but I would appreciate some help! The actual site is to be a chronology which includes large text files and images. I don’t want a timeline so to speak.
    How would I go about making a website that shows large text files.. I have thought of XML and web storage. Can anybody give me some advice on how to achieve a page thats not going to take forever to load.

Paulie_D

You have to define your terms.

How large in kb?

Is formatting important?

Etc.

Bern494
    Participant

Hi Yes formatting will be important. The text files I have range from 1mb to 3mb

Bern

Paulie_D

That’s a heck of a lot considering that the average e-book is less than 2mb.

__
    Participant

When you say “text file,” do you actually mean “text”? You say formatting is important, which leads me to suspect your files may be rich text or other document formats (like .doc, etc.).

Bern494
    Participant

yes they are doc files have now checked sizes they are 200kb range to 600kb 7 files

Bern494
    Participant

I was sure some helpful guy on this website could help!

Bern

TheDoc

Sorry, do you actually want to *display* the DOC on the page? That’s a totally different story.

If you just want the user to download the files, simply providing a link to the file on your server will not cause any additional load time.

Bern494
    Participant

To make it more simpler – 1 page bringing in (or whatever is the quickest way) 1 text file with images (size 597kb)
    I can follow suit with other pages if I can work out the best way to do it.
    I would like to make this chronology as future proof as I can (for historians)

Thanks in advance
    Bern

wolfcry911
    Participant

Why wouldn’t you convert the files to html?

you’re making it very difficult for us to help, not fully understanding what you have and what you want to accomplish…

Bern494
    Participant

Converting the files to html still gives me a large file size, but is that the only way to do it?
    I want to build a Chronology website that should hopeful be future proof if possible.

I have quite large text files, so just formatting the text into a page renders it very heavy (over 1mb)
    What I want to know is the best way to keep this file size down for quick loading. Would it be best to xml the text files or what would be the best way?

Bern

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.