Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Landscape Orientation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hey all,

So I’m working on my own website and wanting to make it tablet and mobile friendly. I have the portrait ok, but once I go to landscape on my iPad or iPhone it zooms in and then I can only see a portion of the page. Now I’m assuming this is the case because I have the height to 100% (it’s a horizontal scrolling site). So I was like alright I will just call it using media queries. However the media query

@media screen and (min-device-width: 321px) and (max-device-width: 480px) {}

does not change the layout. Now I found that this is most likely due to the viewport and mobile safari automatically sees the width to 980px. However when I change the view port to be width=device-width or something along those lines it zooms in and won’t let me zoom out. Should I just detect the orientation some where else (JS or PHP) that call that specific code? Any tips regarding this?

Thanks!!

Actually, I remember reading somewhere that it was how the software was set up on iPhones/iPads, so I don’t think there is much you can do about it at this stage. If I find the article I will link it here.

chrisburton
    Participant

This what you’re referring to?

It sounds like you also have maximum-scale=1.0, user-scalable=no set if you can’t zoom out, which you may want to remove as they are bad for accessibility.

Thoven78

Or you can try this to see if it solves your problem.

@media (max-device-width: 480px) and (orientation: landscape) {}
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.