Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Kirby Comment System (in development)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    __
    Participant

@chrisburton

Yeah, like that.

I don’t see how performance would be any worse than the rest of Kirby’s file-based storage. If you kept the id (maybe other significant “search” data) in the filename, then finding the desired comments would be as easy as glob. If you have multiple comments per file, it would be even faster.

An issue that I think could arise is how you would gather up all those comments if you need to move to a different CMS?

How would you gather up all the rest of your content?

(Honestly, I was surprised that Kirby uses this sort of format, rather than something like json. It does make it easier for humans to compose, though. Hey! That’s it: a script that can parse Kirby’s text file format into json, then decode them into key=>value pairs and insert into whatever DB you’re moving to.)

The toolkit is just a shortcut using classes …

The db class looks to be ext/mysql -specific (a bit of a disappointment), so using it with SQLite (or PDO, or MySQLi, etc.) is out. You certainly could use other database implementations with Kirby, but you’d need to “roll your own.”

@Alen

I love SQLite. It is a very different “flavor” of SQL, and takes getting used to, but there are some fantastic advantages. The main drawback is that it is not too widely available “in the wild.” Where it is available, I’ve found that the installed version varies quite a bit, and there are some big differences between versions.

Unfortunately, I’ve found it’s not worthwhile unless you know in advance that your environment is going to support it, which isn’t practical when you’re talking about publicly distributed projects.

@TheDoc

I totally agree that a DB is a better choice. I just wasn’t aware of how “acceptable” Kirby considered it. Beyond that, if the “no-DB” aspect of Kirby is a major draw, I’d see that as an incentive to think twice before adding one (especially for a single, specific task).

chrisburton
    Participant

@traq

The db class looks to be ext/mysql -specific (a bit of a disappointment), so using it with SQLite (or PDO, or MySQLi, etc.) is out.

“The db class of the new toolkit for Kirby 2 is using PDO, so that old stuff is gone for good.” – Bastian

Edit: I just saw that Bastian put up a reference guide for the new Toolkit.

From the looks of the documentation on github, it appears you can specify a type for db::connect() such as SQLite. See here (line 15).

__
    Participant

“The db class of the new toolkit for Kirby 2 is using PDO, so that old stuff is gone for good.”

oh, cool! I was looking at the db class in kirby/lib/kirby.php.

(On closer inspection, the “Try” link on getkirby.com points to a different repo than you did. New version, I guess. Unit tests, too! Nice.)

chrisburton
    Participant

The only downside is that there is no release date for the new toolkit however, the last blog article to mention Kirby 2 states that is what he has been working on. Hopefully it’s close but I think he started from scratch.

__
    Participant

The only downside is that there is no release date for the new toolkit … I think he started from scratch.

Certainly looks like he did. No comparison with the original version.

I’d say get the new version off github, write your code, then you can do a review and any needed adjustments when it’s officially released.

chrisburton
    Participant

Hmm. I could do that but what if I release this before the new toolkit is out?

I’d rather go with what he has now and then update my code after he releases it. Or I could possible ask him to email developers to update to the new toolkit if their extensions, plugins, require a change.

chrisburton
    Participant

This might help for the comment system:

http://getkirby.com/blog/forum-beta.

Alen
    Participant
    chrisburton
    Participant

@AlenAbdula Haha. Thanks. I was listening when it was live. I was actually the first question that Bastian answered.

Alen
    Participant

V2 looks pretty interesting.

chrisburton
    Participant

Definitely. He’s added a lot of cool things. Since Bastian is going to make a native plugin for Kirby, I’m going to focus on a comment system similar to Medium’s notes for personal use.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.