Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Just uninstalled anything Adobe

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Shikkediel
    Participant

Because I’m fed up with forced and unsolicited installations. The era of Flash is over and Foxit reader is perfectly fine for pdf. Big corp, stop being malicious! And don’t just install adware into a person’s browser.

bearhead
    Participant

Yeah I dropped Adobe from my home computer for similar reasons a little while ago. GIMP and Inkscape are good replacements for Photoshop and Illustrator.

The only thing I haven’t found a suitable replacement for is InDesign, but that shouldn’t really affect you if you’re not doing print design.

Atelierbram
    Participant

@bearhead Curious, are you on a Linux distro?

bearhead
    Participant

@Atelierbram I’m running them on a windows machine, I just like that they’re free and open source, and pretty much as powerful as their Adobe counterparts.

I do have a machine that’s running Ubuntu, but it’s a 13-year old laptop. I pretty much only use it for playing old games on emulators.
    fun stuff :D

Atelierbram
    Participant

Cool! Have you played with the new Bash for Windows yet?

Alex Zaworski
    Participant

Is this in response to the Chrome extension they tried to force install? Happened to me last round of updates. Unfortunately it’s not really feasible for me to just move away from Adobe completely.

Shikkediel
    Participant

in response to the Chrome extension

Indeed, but it’s more like the straw and a certain camel’s back. I’ve had a similar experience where I uninstalled Flash from Firefox and it reinstalled itself! Also, Flash software in general is the only thing that managed to crash my previous desktop.

I’m fine with PSP (last good version) and Inkscape for image design for the rest. I may need that old version of Acrobat I have around (not installed) for when I have to do more complicated manipulations on PDFs though.

Alex Zaworski
    Participant

I’m pretty sure Acrobat was the culprit— and only the non-CC version. I have CC installed on my work laptop as well as my home laptop but not on my desktop (which is where I was having problems).

bearhead
    Participant

I haven’t heard of that project, but it looks cool. Good to see microsoft is making an effort to keep windows a viable option for developers.

Shikkediel
    Participant

On the other hand, I’m not choosing Windows 10 for similar reasons I got rid of the Adobe installations…

That project does look very interesting though.

If I have to, I’ll stick with the old non-cloudy Acrobat version I have and only use it offline for projects I’m sure are trustworthy. Probably wouldn’t be very smart to open random PDFs on the net with it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.