Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript JS basics – how to separate javascript into a separate file

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    amyK
    Participant

I’m just getting started in making the leap from javascript hack to active learner. Case in point – here’s an old project with javascript written directly into html document. How do I separate this out into its own file? I know how to link from html but I don’t know how to structure the js document.

Any help appreciated!

http://amykalisher.com/fc/assign3-2.html

Senff
    Participant

What do you mean, you don’t know how to structure the JS content? In this case you may just want to copy the JS and paste it all into a new document called something like myScripts.js, or that’s not good?

Paulie_D

There’s a shipload of js events inlined to every image.

Frankly, it would probably better to rewrite the thing completely.

amyK
    Participant

Thanks for your comments. Paulie, I think you see what I’m getting at. When you say it would be better to rewrite, do you have an idea about how to approach this? I appreciate your guidance, thanks.

Paulie_D

Well I don’t know how it was written in the first place but js (and js libraries) have come along way.

Start from the basics and try not to repeat code whenever possible.

Shikkediel
    Participant

I tried to give an example (since I recommended the separation before) but the code got rejected by the forum. Might be worth having a look at document.getElementById('id') for outsourcing the script that’s inside the image tags.

Paulie_D

The forum really doesn’t like Javascript.

Codepen would be better.

Shikkediel
    Participant

No doubt, it was only two lines of code though (down to one it worked).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.