Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript [Solved] jQuery Removing One Word of Text

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    LegacyP7
    Participant

Hello. I’m trying to remove just one word of text from a div.

Here’s the code:

<div> <a href="#">username here</a> posted <span>Aug 23, 13</span> </div>

I want to remove the word “Posted” – as I have applied CSS to the rest, and it is standing out like a sore thumb! (Image: http://puu.sh/4mzfx.png)

Now; I’ve tried this bit of jQuery code – which was what I made up from what I found on Google:

$(".info:contains( posted )").text("");

However, if I use this – everything is removed. The Date, the username and everything. This jQuery is selecting the whole .info class – rather than just the word. How can I select just that word?

Thank you!

Senff
    Participant

I would actually dig in the code to see if I could remove the word from the source code, but if you don’t have access to that, you could do it with just CSS.

Give the whole line a font size of 0, then give tha A and the SPAN a font size of 14px (or anything) so that the zero font size is only applied to the word “posted”. Something like this: http://codepen.io/senff/pen/oCGaq

Paulie_D

If I may. the word posted should be wrapped in a text tag such as a <p> or <span>…at the moment it’s just sitting there as (I think) a text node in the HTML.

Because it doesn’t have a text tag it can’t be selected directly with CSS.

Wouldn’t that be better…and more semantic(?) or at least proper HTML anyway?

<div> 
    <a href="#">username here</a>
    <p class="posted">posted<p>
    <span>Aug 23, 13</span>
    </div>

p.posted {
    display:none;
    }

TheDoc

@Paulie_D – I don’t think that’s semantic at all since it’s a single sentence.

Really, it’d be <p><a href="#">Username</a> posted on <span class="date">Date</a></p>.

This is certainly not pretty, but if it has to be done via JS you could do this with jQuery:

http://codepen.io/ggilmore/pen/103c948cf7d841dc5eada185a94fd1d7

Paulie_D

@The Doc.

You’re probably right…swap out the p for a span and it’s easier/better.

<div> 
    <a href="#">username here</a>
    <span class="posted">posted</span>
    <span>Aug 23, 13</span>
    </div>

The important point to me is that all text should be inside some sort of text(like) tag such a p, span, heading or a etc.

LegacyP7
    Participant

This is the exact code. I’ve removed the link though.

<div class="info">
    <a href="#" class="#">Joe_Nub</a> posted <span class="date">Aug 23, 13</span>
    </div>

I need to just be able to select the word – as it has no tagging, and I’m using Enjin, which is kinda like WordPress, and I cannot directly change up the code.

As forth, your responses wouldn’t work.

TheDoc

As forth, your responses wouldn’t work.

My response would definitely work.

Senff
    Participant

So what am I, chopped liver?

With just CSS:

.info {
      font-size:0;
    }

.info a, .info span {
      font-size:14px;
      margin-right:5px;
    }

Or, if you prefer, with just Javascript/jQuery (using replace()): http://codepen.io/senff/pen/wGuIB

TheDoc

@Senff ;)

Actually, when I viewed your solution in Codepen the result was completely blank so I thought it wasn’t working. Looking at it now it appears to be working beautifully.

LegacyP7
    Participant

Oh goodness, how did I not think of the CSS method! Thank you!

I was trying to overcomplicate things with jQuery!

Senff
    Participant

@TheDoc:

Actually, when I viewed your solution in Codepen the result was completely blank so I thought it wasn’t working. Looking at it now it appears to be working beautifully.

That happens to me fairly often as well. Thinking it’s a CodePen quirk.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.