Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript Jquery OuterWidth showing wrong width

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    dev027
    Participant

http://codepen.io/stevewrightuk/pen/rVbLJY

The codepen above has been stripped down to just the problem lines of code.

It is dynamically creating a <button> an appending it to a &lt;div&gt;. Inside the button is an &lt;i&gt; for the font-awsome icon and for the button text.

What I am trying to get is the width of the button.

When I attach the button, the “init” function reports a outerWidth of 113. The inspector window shows a width of 115. The onclick also reports a width of 115.

So why does the init function report it as 2 pixels shorter?

nkrisc
    Participant

Looking at your codepen example, I see it displaying 116 and when I inspect it I see a width of 116.5px

Maybe it’s a browser or partial pixel issue?

Senff
    Participant

For me, it shows 113 at first, then a fraction of a second later it updates its value to 115. When I click on the button, it does say 115 as well.

(using Chrome on Windows 7)

Shikkediel
    Participant

I think it’s about the function firing to quickly initially because it’s missing a doc ready wrapper. After refreshing the page, the pixel width seems correct.

dev027
    Participant

@Shikkediel I took your idea and added a document.ready, but it made no difference.

Further investigation with different browsers on Windows 8 reveals:

IE11: Shows 114 initially and 114 after the onclick.
    Opera31: Shows 115 initially and 115 after the onclick.
    Safari5.1: Shows 101 initially and 114 after the onclick. Refreshing the page and it shows 114 initially.
    Firefox40: Shows 114 initially and 114 after the onclick.
    Chrome44: Shows 113 initially and 115 after the onclick. Refreshing the page and it shows 115 initially.

I can understand some browsers reporting 114 and others 115 due to rounding issues. What confuses me is that some report it as one value and then a few seconds later report as a larger value.

Shikkediel
    Participant

Indeed… strange. Opera 28 on Windows 7 shows 113 initially as well by the way.

Shikkediel
    Participant

Not a solution but it’s a clue, on window load the width also displays correctly :

Pen

Edit – about 30ms after doc ready (on my machine), the ‘real’ value gets incorporated. Must have to do with a repaint and some browsers needing the next frame to calculate?

Link

dev027
    Participant

@Shikkediel That makes sense. I’ve a few alternative ideas that will fix my problem so I’ll try the ones that don’t required an immediate outerWidth.

Thanks

nkrisc
    Participant

Forgot to mention my observation was on latest Chrome on OSX.

Azamat Galiyev
    Participant
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.