Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript jQuery .on('click') not working on some mobile browsers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    koenigsegg1
    Participant

I’m using the following code for a contact form.

$(".btn").on('click', function(){
    $(".contact ,.overlay").removeClass("hidden");
    $('body').addClass("open-modal");
    })

But this doesn’t work on some mobile browsers. It works iOS Safari, Firefox, & 1Password, but not in Chrome, Google, or Opera Mini.
    I tried 'click touchstart' but that doesn’t seem to work either. I even wrapped it inside (document).ready but I cant get it to work. How can I get this to work in all mobile browsers?

live demo here.

P.S. For some reason the demo on Codepen it working fine http://cdpn.io/yYmYQP

P.P.S I’m new to writing in JS/jQuery so please go into detail!

Shikkediel
    Participant

Doesn’t make much sense to me but this stands out :

$(".btn").on('vclick', function(){

koenigsegg1
    Participant

I tried using vclick but that didn’t work either.

Shikkediel
    Participant

I didn’t see a plugin for that… it’s not regular JavaScript in any case. Can’t test it on those mobile browsers myself unfortunately. What happens if you do a simple alert() on mousedown touchstart?

koenigsegg1
    Participant

I added this code:

$(".btn").on('mousedown touchstart', function(){
        alert("The btn was clicked.");
     });

… and it triggered an alert. I’m not shure why it can’t do a basic .removeClass.

How do you usually add/remove classes by clicking an element on mobile devices? Am I doing something wrong? Like I said, I’m very new to JS, so I don’t understand a lot of things.

Shikkediel
    Participant

Using a click should normally work fine on any kind of browser. Not sure what’s going on here.

nkrisc
    Participant

It works fine in your codepen but not on your site? Do you have any other libraries you’re using? If so, does it work if you remove those?

koenigsegg1
    Participant

The page is only a demo contact form (a reduced test case), so the only library that I’m using on that page is jQuery (2.1.3). I even used the source that Codepen uses for jQuery. I tried adding jQuery Mobile to the page because I had seen some posts over at Stack Overflow suggesting this, but it didn’t work so I removed it.

I can’t figure out why this is not working. It’s so frustrating!

Feel free to use Element Inspector on the page if that would help you.

koenigsegg1
    Participant

Is it possible that there is a problem with my web hosting provider? (I’m using GoDaddy)

I created a free account at 000webhost just to see if it would make a difference. I uploaded the same exact files and it worked perfectly. Why would it work differently on a different host?

Shikkediel
    Participant

Seems to be some odd GoDaddy thing…

Topic link

koenigsegg1
    Participant

Ok, so I re-wrote the page in notepad, and nothing changed.

When I first uploaded the files to the other server it worked just fine, but now it doesn’t want to work. Maybe at first I opened the page in Safari, not Chrome.

I just checked on an Android device and all browsers that I tested worked fine ( Browser, Chrome, Firefox, and Opera). It seems to be an iOS thing with Google Chrome and Opera. I found a similar unresolved issue on the Google Forums concerning Google Chrome.

Do you have any more suggestions?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.