Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript Jquery / Javascript Education Help

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    jmc
    Participant

As a coding novice, I would like to know whether it would be better or easier for me to learn javascript before delving into jquery, or vice versa. I primarily work in the designing aspect of web development (PS, html/css. etc.) and I am looking to broaden my skillset.

php would naturally come afterlearnign both, but I think learning javascript/jquery first would better serve my needs in the immediate moment.

Additionally, if you are familiar with any specific articles on css-tricks I can use to start learning (or even other, preferably free educational resources as well) please let me know. thanks!

(P.S. I am submitting this question before a very long shift, so it may take me a while to respond or view any suggestions. I’m hoping to get the ball rolling as soon as I return from work.)

TheDoc

Personally, I started with jQuery and then moved on to Coffeescript. I don’t think there’s a right or wrong way.

justdan
    Participant

I all but did the same thing as TheDoc did. I started with JQuery then moved to pure JS. I enjoyed learning about JQuery first because I was able to start using it almost immediately. Then once I got a good grip on JQuery I moved onto bigger things. If you have a spare 25 bucks laying around, check out the latest video from Chris in the lodge on “Learning JQuery from Scratch”. It was a nice little series that covered basics and explained what certain things were and some ways to use them. Just my O2 =) Best of luck and most important, have fun with it!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I started with jQuery, but would recommend learning the fundamentals of javascript before working with a library. I’ve managed to do this in reverse, and I’m now realizing that much of the jQuery I began writing can be achieved with raw javascript.

Useful Resources:

jQuery Fundamentals
    Native JavaScript Equivalents of jQuery Methods: Part One
    Native JavaScript Equivalents of jQuery Methods: Part Two
    Codecademy

Good luck!

Garrett
    Participant

I got into javascript by reading Eloquent JavaScript by Marijn Haverbeke. It’s free to read online, and I highly suggest it.

Charlesdalton1
    Participant

fvgz

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.