Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript jQuery: add a class to parent of child < li >

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    sly
    Participant

I want to add a class to the < li > ‘About Us’ because it is the parent nav of the < li class="current_page" >

This jQuery gets me real close:

It doesn’t quite get there because it only gets as far as the < ul > above it ie. the parent.

Can I add something to the jQuery that selects the < li > above the parent < ul > of the < li class="current_page"> ?

TheDoc

I’m no jQuery expert, but could you just do this?

sly
    Participant

No jQuery expert??? I disagree… you are a jQuery master!!!

Thank you so much!

That works perfectly no matter how many < li > elements there are before the parent!

TheDoc

haha no problem!

sly
    Participant

hmm…

sadly it works on the static list I created above but not on the dynamic list created by my cms. Not sure why.

TheDoc

Hmmm… make sure the script is being run at the bottom of the page. Also, you may need to replace the ‘$’ in front with ‘jQuery’. Like I said, not an expert! ;)

jamygolden

The best jQuery selector function would probably be closest(). closest() basically goes up through all parents until it finds a match. So:

$('li.current_page').closest("li").addClass("this_is_the_childs_nav_parent");

That would match the first list item ancestor and add the class.

TheDoc

Look at you smart jQuery guys!

sly
    Participant

yes! thanks all!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.