Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other JavaScript Spam Protection Effectivness

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    aicos
    Participant

Hi

I was just wondering if anyone has had any experiences with spam getting through to email addresses that were supposed to be protected using JavaScript. That is to say; using the document.write() method of writing out the mail address.

I thought this was decent way of protecting email addresses, but now I’m starting to get Spam. I did a google search for the email address in question and I got some google hits. It seems that the search results themselves included the email address. I poked around some more and found some people saying that web robots can and do parse javascript.

So if this is the case, what is the best solution? Maybe writing some code that doesn’t output the mail address if the user agent is a google robot for example? Or maybe there is a better way of handling this?

Any thoughts welcome.
    Thanks

I’m personally of the opinion that a straight forward image with an empty alt tag is the way to go.

AshtonSanders
    Participant

I agree with bananas, or just use a super simple contact form

Google is getting better at reading Javascript… Even the old trick of using javascript to hide the address of a link doesn’t work…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.