Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other I've got an out-of-control form problem.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    nixnerd
    Participant

I have a client who has me building themes for a system that generates static sites for his clients. It’s kind of like an industry specific Square Space or something like that.

Now, these themes need to capture leads and send them to various parties, depending on what the information is.

Currently, each theme has 8 forms. You read that correctly. 8 freaking forms. This is ridiculous. There shouldn’t be 8 forms on one page. But, part of the problem is, each form captures different info and sends it to different people.

I’m toying with the idea of making one form that uses JS to sub out form fields depending on what the user selects.

How do you guys feel about this idea? Do you have any other suggestions?

shaneisme
    Participant

I always channel Luke W. when doing forms. He’s the king of taking a form that’s 40-something fields and making it 2…

He recently did a video on some tricks you can use: http://www.lukew.com/ff/entry.asp?1891

The rest of the videos are great too: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLg-UKERBljNy2Yem3RJkYL1V70dpzkysC

Maybe you’ll find some inspiration?

nixnerd
    Participant

You are amazing sir. I will DEFINITELY be watching these. Thanks so much!

shaneisme
    Participant

Well, technically Mr. Wroblewski is amazing :)

nixnerd
    Participant

Yeah… but you introduced us. That’s awesome in my book.

I don’t think steppers will help me. Buuuuut… it’s got me thinking about the SIMPLEST possible way I can capture data. This is totally going to be a one off solution but at least it will work elegantly.

shaneisme
    Participant

Yeah, that’s good.

I would highly recommend viewing the rest of the videos too, lots of great ideas in there.

nixnerd
    Participant

In case anyone is wondering… I’ve decided to create a form that I’m calling the “B-Tree Form” for now. It’s got several “branches” if you will that resemble the structure of a b-tree. I’m making it sound way more complicated than it is:

User just selects what info their requesting and it displays the proper fields for said info.

This comes in handy when form info goes to different people based on what’s input.

Cool thing is, it’s infinitely nestable and pretty unobtrusive.

shaneisme
    Participant

Pen demo foo.

nixnerd
    Participant

Will do bar… when it’s working :)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.