Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Italicized fallback

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    jmc
    Participant

In my current project, I am working with an imported serif font that inherently has an italic skew to it. I would like to set the fallback font to georgia, but I would like to apply the italic version of Georgia as the fallback, rather than it’s normal display.

Is there any way I can apply Italics to just one of my fallbacks? or is there a way I can call upon the italic display of Georgia within the css?

(I wish I could be as helpful on the forums as most of you seem to be, but I am still pretty new to all this!)

jmc
    Participant

I am using a font from lost type called [pigeon](http://www.losttype.com/font/?name=pigeon “”). The font itself, to me at least, looks to be inherently italicized. needless to say, it does bear a similarity to italic Georgia, hence why I would like to set that as the fall back.

Paulie_D

I can’t see any way of doing this (other than using a Georgia Italic font).

I suppose it **might** be possible to do something with JS though.

Paulie_D

Yeah…but that’s not the issue..or is it?

If his web served font isn’t loaded (for whatever reason..perhaps the font-repository is down) then he want’s an italic fallback that’s available locally

chrisburton
    Participant

Actually it doesn’t resemble Georgia that well.

There is a way to do what you’re asking with CSS but I can’t find the post in the forum.

Paulie_D

@alexmccabe Assuming he owns/licenced “Georgia Italic” :)

Paulie_D

Yeah…but my point was (& perhaps I’m missing something) is that Georgia Italic would have to be installed…and (happy to be wrong) but that’s not a standard font..or is it?

Or would it take a standard Georgia and italicize it?

chrisburton
    Participant

Update: On my computer it’s “Georgia Italic” (with spaces).

@Pauly_D Georgia has italics and it is on both Windows and Mac.

Paulie_D

On my standard install W7 machine…I only have Georgia and not GI is not listed as a ‘separate’ font.

However, of course, the trick would be to specific a ‘standard’ italic font that resembles the chosen font as closely as possible.

Solved…ish. :)

chrisburton
    Participant

@Paulie_D

Go to Computer > C: > Windows > Fonts > Georgia > You will see the list that includes Italic

Screenshot

Paulie_D

So it does….the things you learn everyday.

:)

chrisburton
    Participant

@alexmccabe No. You need to use the following CSS for it to work

body {
    font-family: “GeorgiaItalic”, “Georgia Italic”;
    }

chrisburton
    Participant

@alexmccabe Not for me it doesn’t. However, if you set the font-style to normal, it does. You could probably just remove it altogether

chrisburton
    Participant

W7

chrisburton
    Participant

@alexmccabe It works.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.