Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript It would be nice to have post amounts in forum.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Eric

It would be nice to have post amounts in forum. It says a lot about someones intentions. And their experience.

standuncan

This would be an awesome place for custom sigs, probably some pretty cool stuff would show up?

chrisburton
    Participant

I think custom signatures are kind of redundant

TheDoc

Like most forums, sigs eventually get used by spammers. We took sigs out when we switched over to Vanilla. I agree on the post count and other things though, I’ll see what I can get @Robskiwarrior to look into!

Johnnyb

I think it’d be cool to be able to put a link to your website/portfolio/twitter/dribble in your signature, or in your profile at least. I’ve taken advice from a lot of people on the forum and I’ve thought a few times that it’d be nice to find out a bit more about them professionally/follow them/make a connection.

chrisburton
    Participant

Perhaps profiles could be integrated with Twitter accounts in the future.

TheDoc

@Johnnyb – we’d like to avoid implementing sigs. Inevitably it will be exploited by spammers.

Johnnyb

@TheDoc, bummer. Just thinking out loud but how about a system where if you contribute 100 posts to the forum then you earn the ability to be able to put a couple of links in your sig?

Brightonmike

I like it the way it is. I hate forums that are cluttered, with ridiculously over the top profiles. I don’t see the need for post count.

I don’t think this is really a forum to be a close knit community, more just a place for people to go to discuss web dev and get solutions to problems.

It’s on topic, there’s no general chat – I like it like that. Means I know I can get a straight answer.

chrisburton
    Participant

Hmm, I don’t know. I talk to a few people regularly from this site. I kind of like to learn from them on a personal level.

I agree with @Brightonmike, I like the way it currently is. If you use the forums enough, you will start to recognize the more valuable members of the community.

standuncan

What about a preview of the post when you hover over the post title? I like those on forums to ‘quickly’ see if I can contribute anything to the post/thread or not. Sometimes titles themselves are too vague. Just an idea.

Fourize

I also agree with Brightonmike, with a counting system I find it can often make things competitive, which thankfully there is non of here. Maybe something like a thanking system would help though.

noahgelman
    Participant

Yes, instead of just a post count, just a count of how many times that person has helped someone.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.