Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS It keeps going and going….

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

Hey guys,

Thought I’d reach out and see if any of you have any ideas on this. On any of the single "video" pages on this site, like this:

https://css-tricks.com/video-screencasts … tionality/

If you view it in IE 8, it just continuously loads seemingly blank content expanding the site horizontally forever. It’s very bizarre. If you click the "compatibility view" button it doesn’t do it, and it works in literally any other browser.

It has something to do with the comments area, as if I remove that from the template it loads fine.

The page validates perfectly as well.

Weirdness :D

-Chris

apostrophe
    Participant

I just checked the page in ie8 on http://ipinfo.info/netrenderer/ and it looks fine. Could it just be a problem with ie8 on vmware? Does it do the same in ietester?

chazzwick

it loaded fine for me for about a second, then did exactly what Chris said. Im on XP here.

Rob MacKay
    Participant

Its a bug with IE8 atm – loads of people and sites are reporting the same problem with embedded video… there seems to be no solution atm… :(

apostrophe
    Participant

You could try this http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/cc817570.aspx

Though how they have the gall to say

Quote:
    These short-term fixes are recommended only for quick, temporary use. Eventually you should modify your Web site so that it sends standards-based code to Windows Internet Explorer 8 and above

beggars belief!! :lol:

AshtonSanders
    Participant

Hahahahah….. crap. I really don’t want to start checking IE8 too…

Yea… It’s a real shame your website isn’t valid…. *sarcasm* :x

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

It IS standards-based. Fully-validating, that’s what so darn infuriating.

I’m going to bust out the meta tag they suggest to just make it emulate IE 7.

Booooooooo.

friendofpugs

Just as I ignore IE6, I ignore IE8. Can’t trust MS to get nuthin’ right…

AshtonSanders
    Participant
    "chriscoyier" wrote:
    It IS standards-based. Fully-validating, that’s what so darn infuriating.

(I know, sarcasm is the devil on the internet…)

"chriscoyier" wrote:
    Booooooooo.

lol

"friendofpugs" wrote:
    Just as I ignore IE6, I ignore IE8. Can’t trust MS to get nuthin’ right…

Not that this is the proper place for this discussion, but that’s really not a good idea. In a year when everyone uses IE8 (and today while 25%+ still use IE6) all the products you create will be broken.

friendofpugs
    Quote:
    Not that this is the proper place for this discussion, but that’s really not a good idea. In a year when everyone uses IE8 (and today while 25%+ still use IE6) all the products you create will be broken.

Our site metrics don’t support those figures. IE6 has slowly been trending down at 17% while IE8 is hovering at just below 6%. IE7 represents a whopping 75% of the traffic, so for us, that’s the only IE player we worry about at the moment. (We received over 100K visits from May 11 to April 11.) Besides, IT won’t install IE8 yet for us to test against ‘cuz of our wonky desktop environment. You’d at least like to think that IE8 should render better than IE6…but that’s a long shot. ;)

AshtonSanders
    Participant

Well that’s better than 25%, but you realize you get 6000 IE6ers and 17000 IE7ers? So 23000 people who see your site in a browser you haven’t checked.

Sorry for the thread-jack… I’m done

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.