Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Is your craft valued or are you just a code-monkey in your team?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    crazycuriouscoder
    Participant

@TheDoc Wow, that’s definitely an indicator right there. They wanted to make sure you were happy after being hired. That’s a really good situation to be in.

crazycuriouscoder
    Participant

@TheDoc Do you think if you didn’t have much Javascript skills you would be just as employable as a front-end developer? What are some key skills, technical and/or non-technical, that are absolutely responsible for you having a satisfying, stable job? Did you have previous experience with doing Shopify themes and others?

shaneisme
    Participant

I’m very happy where I’m at now, but I came from a place where front-end work wasn’t valued much at all. In fact, when I told my previous boss that I was leaving to do front-end he was fairly incredulous. He thought only the “heavy-lifting” work was valuable…

I was hired on to transform our team’s way of doing web pages. I work in a marketing department, so there’s a lot of landing pages or micro sites, and they wanted to get into the modern times rather than static 800px non-interactive websites.

I’m given reasonable times to complete projects, and my team listens when I say things should be done a different way. It’s a wonderful thing!

It can be hard, especially depending on where you live, to find a great job… but you should always look for another in your spare time if you’re not happy.

crazycuriouscoder
    Participant

@shaneisme You mentioned you did things that were modern and not just static anymore. Could you explain more? Do you spent almost all of your time doing HTML and CSS?

shaneisme
    Participant

I use JS + a lot of other tools like SASS, et al to make my life easier :)

I also agree with everything Doc said!

crazycuriouscoder
    Participant

@TheDoc @shaneisme what type of JS work do you do? Is it more for UX or full-blown client-side applications with something like Angular?

@shaneisme
    So were in the same situation where you had to learn JS to keep pace?

Alen
    Participant
    nixnerd
    Participant

I thought you got into a bit of Node @TheDoc.

nixnerd
    Participant

I’m hoping to get deeper into Node.js soon. I mean… if I can find a good reason to, i.e. a cool project that requires it for some odd reason.

olivern
    Participant

I am not particularly a programming expert although I learn as much as I need, however in my opinion without a programmer you’re pretty stuffed, so I value programmers extremely highly.

nixnerd
    Participant

I value programmers extremely highly.

I think in some circles you are the exception.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.