Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Is using css to show a logo in place of h1 text against google rules?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    elmalak

I’ve been contacted by a client who wanted me to remove all hidden text from his site( by this he refers to h1 tags that are hidden using css to display a logo or so,) as he thinks this is against Google’s latest updates and saying that this could lead to his site being punished by Google!

Is that true in any way?
    thanks.

TheDoc

It depends on how you’re doing it, I suppose.

elmalak

Yes, the image is used as a background to H1 tag of the page title which is given a text-indent of -9999px, I’ve always done this.

Is it considered bad practice now?

thanks,

Senff
    Participant

In my opinion, SEO/SEM is not an exact science, not even for Google’s algorhytms. It’s just as hit and miss as, say, marketing or PR. It’s a combination of so many things, sometimes things help, sometimes they don’t.

Having said that…

If you look on this page (I looked because from one day to the other, my own site is not listed in Google anymore when you do a simple search for “senff”….), it says the following:

However, certain actions such as cloaking, writing text in such a way that it can be seen by search engines but not by users, or setting up pages/links with the sole purpose of fooling search engines may result in removal from our index.

Again, it’s not an exact science because I’m sure it’s not a crime to do this for H1’s, but still, if you follow it to the letter, it’s bad practice.

joslex
    mmoustafa

Yes, it’s really bad. Google just adopted a new algorithm.

It’s basically penalizing every over-SEO-optimized websites out there, the ones with hidden links & header tags and 100 lines of meta description.

looks like your client has done some good reading. Panda algorithm, look it up.

elmalak

So, for all the above discussion I understand that’s it’s better to have an image inside of the h1 tag and let the alt tag be the text I wanted to include like so,

">My Site Name

Is that the best thing to do then?

Senff
    Participant

For all intent and purposes, using the site logo as a H1 is not the correct use in the first place, I think.

H1 should be used to describe the topic/subject of the very page, not the site.

For example, on any book page on Amazon, H1 should be used for the book title — not the Amazon logo.
    On any auction page on eBay, H1 should be used for the product title, not the eBay logo.
    On a page like this one, you’ll see that the topic of the page (“Sass vs Less”) is the H1 title — NOT the “CSS Tricks” title.

If you keep focusing on that, then you won’t even really need to replace it with images, since the page title is usually actual text (unlike the site logo).

elmalak

Thanks @Sneff and @schmotty for the explanation, I really appreciate it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.